Tikka T3 mods???

jamesbilling

Hi all,

i have just bought a tikka t3 in .243 flavour with a custom stock. i am just wondering if there is any other mods people have done and would suggest to do? trigger upgrades or similar?

cheers in advance

JB

Hi all,

i have just bought a tikka t3 in .243 flavour with a custom stock. i am just wondering if there is any other mods people have done and would suggest to do? trigger upgrades or similar?

cheers in advance

JB

Nowt, shoots well straight from the box.

trigger upgrades or similar?

I polished the contact surfaces in trigger using cotton wheel in dremel and fine polishing paste. Somewhat cleaned up the trigger feel and brought the weight down 200-300 grams. I didn't adjust the trigger since after polishing it was to my liking.

My first Tikka T3 was a semi custom build , specs are
T3 action
Mcmillan varmint stock
Ukgunworks tactical bolt handle , action screws
Krieger , light varmint fluted barrel - 290 neck chambered in 6.5-55 Ackley .

All the best.

While nothing has to be done, it's fun to tinker!I bedded mine into a Boyd's laminated stock, bedded new bottom metal at same time (takes AICS mags), fitted metal bolt shroud and heavy "tactical" bolt knob. The latter improves the feel of cycling the bolt, particularly when firing a string of shots quickly (ie in timed competition.Trigger has had minimal fettling as it felt pretty good from the off.

Interesting site.
The three position safety sounds good,have you got one ?

yes, he gave me one to try....haven't yet put it on the rifle but a rifle smith close by has fitted a few.
In one case the safety was difficult to fit, I think there were some minor changes in the design at Tikka.
I was asked to translate that time. In the end ASH sent another one which fitted perfect, the first one
fitted perfect on a different T3....
Andreas Schuler has a very small rifle manufacturing company, he is a nice chap to do business with.
I will meet him end next week at the IWA where he has a little stand.
edi

I've had the stock Hydro dipped in a woodland camo pattern on mine, I have added a mountain tactical alloy bolt shroud and I have also fitted a Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad to soften the felt recoil from the 270 cal.

I preferred the shape of the mountain tactical bolt shroud over other designs and the recoil pad is Limbsavers latest design which is much softer than the standard T3 pad..... I sent away to the states for both of these items as I was unable to locate either of them here in the UK.

Last edited:
Make you feel better that you've replaced a plastic part. Some people have reported breaking the OEM shroud in the field, but this doesn't render the gun inoperable.

Nice thing about aftermarket parts is, if you don't like, don't buy it.

On an American Forum it was mentioned the metal shroud would give better protection from hot gases flying back at you if a cartridge ruptures.
I had a broken plastic shroud on my old T3.
edi

On an American Forum it was mentioned the metal shroud would give better protection from hot gases flying back at you if a cartridge ruptures.

To me this sounds just like marketing speech.

T3 design has quite nice venting in case of case rupture (the vent hole has something like 20x the cross sectional area compared to firing pin hole that's plugged by firing pin). And if the gases had enough pressure to puncture the plastic shroud, I wouldn't want to guess whether a plastic or metal shroud hitting my face would hurt more...

To me this sounds just like marketing speech.

T3 design has quite nice venting in case of case rupture (the vent hole has something like 20x the cross sectional area compared to firing pin hole that's plugged by firing pin). And if the gases had enough pressure to puncture the plastic shroud, I wouldn't want to guess whether a plastic or metal shroud hitting my face would hurt more...

Maybe you are right, but..
Want to try it? maybe you forgot something, or?
Things get somewhat unpredictable when a rifle lets go. I couldn't make a statement.
edi

Back