Experience of an SAK Ultra moderator for 22 semi auto

tramblygoat

Hey folks, I have several moderators for my 22LRs and all work to a varying degree. I have just bought a S&W MP15-22 and would like to get a new mod with 1/2x28 thread USA type. I have been looking at various ones but this one seemed quite good the SAK Ultra. I don't (can't use) a mod for my bigger calibers as mods are banned for hunting where I live ( France )- stupid outdated law issue where people think mods=silence=deer bandits. I do however want one for quieter times at my rifle club.

Any opinions or feedback on this maker would be appreciated whether on smaller 22LR/17HMR calibers of not....

Regards, Mark

Hi Mark - I have a SAK on my M&P 15-22 - I can vouch for it - with subs, all you hear is the bolt cycling!

SAK does as well as just about anything else and is nice and cheap (here). Others to consider: LEI, ATEC Rimfire, Scirocco, ASE Rimfire - all do very well across the price bands. Some are prettier than others - but they do the job.

Thanks guys. I haven't tried subsoniques and in fact thought they wouldn't cycle the action. Interesting to try - although they are costlier and it's easy to run through plenty rounds with the MP15 - 22. ...

The SAK isn't cheap here €140 but at least I can buy as many as I like without that 'on my ticket' nonsense. Ah the plus and minus of each country. I miss shooting rabbits here (never ever seen one in France). Used to shoot loads when I was in the UK - great fun......

i think theres a bit of confusion the sak ultra i think is intended for c/f so thats why i think your finding it expensive the ones i use and suspect these are the ones eric the red is talking about are only rimfire ones ,priced over here about 35 pound,they work ok on 22s and 17hmrs no problem, atb doug,

i think theres a bit of confusion the sak ultra i think is intended for c/f so thats why i think your finding it expensive the ones i use and suspect these are the ones eric the red is talking about are only rimfire ones ,priced over here about 35 pound,they work ok on 22s and 17hmrs no problem, atb doug,

Unfortunately the rimfire one was what I was saying was €140 CF ones seem to be about the €350 mark and upwards. I will get one of them when my AR15 arrives as 30 fast rounds with that will be nosier :evil: . Just checked out the cycling with CCI subsoniques, so quiet and no FTE, brilliant - they sell for about €8.50/100 if I buy 10 boxes or more or €7 if I buy 50 boxes or more. Still thanks for that - I guess the mod holds back some of the gas that helps the cycle.....

Thanks guys. I haven't tried subsoniques and in fact thought they wouldn't cycle the action. Interesting to try - although they are costlier and it's easy to run through plenty rounds with the MP15 - 22. ...

Subs are fine (1065fps) - don't use the quiets, they won't cycle it at all - other than that it'll run fine (suppressed or unsupressed - the back pressure doesn't matter).

Steer clear of the stingers - these are way too hot for the twist and you'll get flyers.

Last count I've put circa 12k rounds through mine - loved every minute!

Thanks for that. I just got mine, cleaned off the factory preservative oil and then I put 500 rounds on it. No jams no fail to ejects. Then I cleaned it again and after that I've had quite a few FTE - crushed rounds. Today I tried CCI subsonic although I only had 30 to try. They shot fine. I also have some Winchester subs I'll try. It is the trial period for me - I've always been meticulous with semi - auto cleaning but perhaps the S&W likes less love and care.

Appreciated.

As already stated normal SAK is a good choice for 22lr subs:relatively cheap and easy to clean.You can get quieter mods but in practice the difference in noise level with subs is slight and the cost difference can be high.

Thanks for that. I just got mine, cleaned off the factory preservative oil and then I put 500 rounds on it. No jams no fail to ejects. Then I cleaned it again and after that I've had quite a few FTE - crushed rounds. Today I tried CCI subsonic although I only had 30 to try. They shot fine. I also have some Winchester subs I'll try. It is the trial period for me - I've always been meticulous with semi - auto cleaning but perhaps the S&W likes less love and care.

Appreciated.

No problem - I wouldn't go mad cleaning it - I've got a Kenair air duster (from a photography shop) which blows a lot of the detritus out quite well - also, ear buds and a tooth brush are quite good for giving the bolt face and feed ramp a good going over. That said, it'll run pretty well in any condition (I'm like you, I like to keep it near enough as clean as I can).

Ammo-wise, I got the FTE when trying out different types (crushed cases or 'stove-pipes' as they're normally known) - had this with some cheaper Fiocchi stuff so binned that. Mine loves Winchester subs and RWS Semi-Auto run faultlessly and have excellent accuracy (1") @ 60yds. For multi-round madness, I also get the CCI AR Tactical (copper washed 1200fps solids) - these were (so-say) designed for the gun and run really well.

Enjoy it - pimp it - it's the best of the bunch that are out there for sure :thumb:

Morning,

Yes 'stovepipes' was the expression I should have used. I heard that this can be a 'running in' issue. The rifle is certainly fun and it'll get a couple of things added - I just added a Vortex Red Dot and a one point sling on my MOE version of the rifle. If it gets 1'' at 60 yds that'll do me - it's for fun only. I have a Sako Quad Hunter Pro that can be used for more accurate sub 100 yd work and after that it's the CF rifles. I will take your advice on the cleaning (hate seeing a filthy rimfire-sooted action though). I bought some CLP breakfree that the Americans seem to swear buy (this'll also serve for my Stag 3TM when it arrives). I haven't seen that CCI AR tactical stuff but I'll buy some if I come across it.

In the end I finally decided to order an ASE Ultra ( 1/2x28 ) this morning after seeing this You Tube link

Kind regards, Mark

No problem - I wouldn't go mad cleaning it - I've got a Kenair air duster (from a photography shop) which blows a lot of the detritus out quite well - also, ear buds and a tooth brush are quite good for giving the bolt face and feed ramp a good going over. That said, it'll run pretty well in any condition (I'm like you, I like to keep it near enough as clean as I can).

Ammo-wise, I got the FTE when trying out different types (crushed cases or 'stove-pipes' as they're normally known) - had this with some cheaper Fiocchi stuff so binned that. Mine loves Winchester subs and RWS Semi-Auto run faultlessly and have excellent accuracy (1") @ 60yds. For multi-round madness, I also get the CCI AR Tactical (copper washed 1200fps solids) - these were (so-say) designed for the gun and run really well.

Enjoy it - pimp it - it's the best of the bunch that are out there for sure :thumb:

Morning,

Yes 'stovepipes' was the expression I should have used. I heard that this can be a 'running in' issue. The rifle is certainly fun and it'll get a couple of things added - I just added a Vortex Red Dot and a one point sling on my MOE version of the rifle. If it gets 1'' at 60 yds that'll do me - it's for fun only. I have a Sako Quad Hunter Pro that can be used for more accurate sub 100 yd work and after that it's the CF rifles. I will take your advice on the cleaning (hate seeing a filthy rimfire-sooted action though). I bought some CLP breakfree that the Americans seem to swear buy (this'll also serve for my Stag 3TM when it arrives). I haven't seen that CCI AR tactical stuff but I'll buy some if I come across it.

In the end I finally decided to order an ASE Ultra ( 1/2x28 ) this morning after seeing this You Tube link

Kind regards, Mark

Sorry but am I missing something here? (I watched the video twice just to be sure)
In the video from 0:52 through to 1:02 and then again from 1:15 through to 1:30 it looks like the rifle is pointing up on an angle through the trees without any thought towards any sort of a backstop. (Unless there is something which the video is not showing) If I am not missing something then it looks like a case of the "shooter" just firing randomly up through the trees without making sure that there is a "safe backstop" in place then where are those bullets going? Maybe not the best display of "Gun Safety"!

He states he has is own private range and it is directed towards a mountain that is on it. He is obviously somewhere in a area far, far from anywhere in Scandanavia. Not perhaps the UK thing as it is so crowded but I'm sure he knows his terrain. I can see UK shooters getting upset though....

Back