Thread: doe box

doe box

hi folks looking to know what size do you make your doe box hide

depends on the land ,do you want some height or just a hide ,check direction the winds coming from most backstops etc ,any size you want could just be half a dozen pallets screwed together, its up to you,

3 pallets in a "U" shape with plank across the middle saw them at euston yrs ago plenty of room for two Stalkers .

Don't make it too small so it is difficult to move around inside quietly. I like them big enough to stretch out a bit whilst waiting.
    Good ergonomics make a real difference to the enjoyment of using a doe box.
    Set the plank seat so that it is comfortable to sit comfortably leaning against the back wall but still with a good view out & set another plank up as a shooting rest that you can lay the rifle on ready for quick deployment & a good shooting position.
    I like them six ft wide by six high (don't like banging my head!) by about five ft front to back.

They were originally built so you could move them about easily. I have the plans somewhere for the real doe boxes, the rest are just cheap copies I will look them out when I have a spare moment

cheers guys also is it better to have a roof or not i have a high seat already but looking more comfort

Sent me your email and I will send plan drawings for you to use.
    if interested?

A roof has its benefits - Keeps you dry & warmer. It also puts you more in the shade so your movements are harder to see from the outside.
    I've used doe boxes quite a lot & deer often look at them as if they know you may be there so being in the shade is quite important.

If you search the forum you will find a brilliant post fom Thar showing a doe box made from IBC containers.

How to make a doe box out of two 1000lt plastic containers.

hey moss

I like to be able to move a wee bit without touching the sides so you dont make noise and always get a lid on so that you can sit up when its wet without getting a wet arse . try an old carpet on floor for sound reduction and on insides to keep wind out. I usually put a bird box on outside so they don't build inside and crap over everything ES