Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure

Afternoon all,
    I know this has been asked before but what signs should I be looking at for over pressure in my reloads.
    Im loading 22-250 using vn550, 38.5grains with cci primers, 55vmax with federal brass.

Excessive recoil, hard extraction, soot marks around the neck, primer flattening..

Good article here
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

out of interest why N550?

its on the slow side for 55gr

Cheers Woodsmoke
    Hi Bewsher, had some spare so just fancied trying it, getting good groups with it but not had it through a chrono yet, doing that shortly, is that a powder you could recommend for 22-250, pretty new to reloading.

I'm wondering if it possible to get enough n550 in a 22/250 case to get you in trouble?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

A powder recommended for .22-250... I'd go for H380. I think it was designed for the .22-250? I also tried H4895, which was on the slow side.. good accuracy and case fill but not quite as quick as H380.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    soot marks around the neck
    Is this really a sign of high pressure?

A primer that fills the primer pocket from edge to edge with no radius on the edge of the primer is a sure sign of high pressures. Depriming will show the primer sort of resembles a mushroom. The firing pin indentation should be round and clean, if it is strange looking like it has been pushed back out then the pressures are getting close to breaching the primer wall. Stiff bolt handle lift, difficult extraction. Primers that just drop out of the primer pocket.
    Last edited by hybridfiat; 05-03-2015 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Is this really a sign of high pressure?
    No, my cock up Good catch. Apparently soot around the primer can be an indication of high pressures, or more likely loose primer pockets, according to that article.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Johnny R

Varget 35.5gr behind a 55gr is the dogs! ;-)

Over pressure signs...also look for a shiny indentation from the extractor as well!