Thread: Game Cover

Game Cover

The farm is due to change the scheme we're currently in els and my boss has said we'll have to make some changes regarding game covers etc so looks like maize will be off the list as its not going to tick the boxs anymore and ticks make points and points make prizes .we also have some elephant grass strips that will have to go although these will be harder to remove .I'd like some kale on the lighter ground and we've had some triticale wild bird mixes that have been good even up to the end of the season .
    is anyone else experiencing a similar situation and what are your thoughts . Game plots are seriously important to us as we have only a small amount of wood /spinneys
    cheers Norma

We are having lots of success with kings winter holding mix very good for holding and driving pheasants and the chicory that's in it is brilliant as grazing for the roe in the winter

I use reed Canary grass with a mix of kale and chicory. Great cover for the birds and grows even on rubbish soil.

We use Reed Canary Grass purely because it's a perennial so very little maintenance required plus a mix of wild bird seed. The Reed Canary has been very successful at holding birds on our shoot even though it has no food value.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!