Multiple moderators?

Ah8217bris

Hi all

currently using a 223 proofed wildcat on my 223 and about to get a 308. I was wondering rather than buy another moderator (as will only use one rifle at a time) should i sell the wildcat and buy a 308 proofed moderator to use on both rifles? Do you generally have a moderator per rifle?

I have individual Wildcat moderators for each rifle, never tried swapping them between rifles. Always assumed they were specifically designed for a specific calibres

Hi all

currently using a 223 proofed wildcat on my 223 and about to get a 308. I was wondering rather than buy another moderator (as will only use one rifle at a time) should i sell the wildcat and buy a 308 proofed moderator to use on both rifles? Do you generally have a moderator per rifle?

In the early days I had a single T8 and then replaced it with a single AU-S5 for a 243 and a 260 Rem. Given I can only shoot one rifle at a time that was adequate. When I lent the 260 Rem, I had to get another moderator, so then I had two.

One thing I have found recently is the length of the threaded section on each of my rifles is different which is a real pain. In time I will have each 1/2 inch x 20 UNF threaded section cut to the same length.

NB: all the moderators I possess are in .30 cal.

Regards

JCS

Hi JCS

Thats a very good point re threads. I am planning getting the same make model in 308 as my 223 so hopefully they wont be an issue!

good to know that other people have/have had same logic as me behind sharing moderators

Andrew

I have a .22 specific P8 for my .223 and a .30 cal for my .308. From what I've witnessed in the past a 30 cal moderator won't be as quiet on a .223 as a .22 specific one will.

Edited to add: You can change the internals in a P8 to alter the calibre and/or thread.

Walshie is right , but I use an Ase ultra 30 cal mod on my 223, 243 and 308( as soon as it's been threaded ) not had any problems using the 30 cal mod on the 223 or 243 ,

atb

kjf

Hi all

While you can put a 308 moderator on a 223 rifle, you'll find it won't 'moderate' the shot very much.
I did a little test with a friend, putting my 308 moderator on a 243 rifle, and the resulting bang was painfully loud, to the point where we both concluded it was pointless to do.

Be aware that if you have the same threat sizes for different moderators it is theoretically quite easy to make a mistake one day and put a small caliber moderator on a large caliber rifle. Not this becomes dangerous! Therefore I feel it make sense to either have different threat sizes on your different rifles and a dedicated moderator for each rifle, or at least colour code your moderators and rifles with a little bit of tape so it makes it more difficult to accidentally interchange them.

I have 30 cal mod on my 243 seems to be working fine lots of noise reduction. Just having the 270 threaded for the same mod. I see no problems
Tusker

I had a .30 cal mod on my 22-250 and it was very loud, after a few months i asked bushwear if extra baffles would help and they put me in touch with the importers ( jacksons) and i was told i had the wrong cal mod I needed the 6.5 mm, which bushwear promply ordered and exchanged for me FOC, BIG difference, moderators are cal specific if you want the best sound suppression
cheers
Ray

I had a .30 cal mod on my 22-250 and it was very loud, after a few months i asked bushwear if extra baffles would help and they put me in touch with the importers ( jacksons) and i was told i had the wrong cal mod I needed the 6.5 mm, which bushwear promply ordered and exchanged for me FOC, BIG difference, moderators are cal specific if you want the best sound suppression
cheers
Ray
Ray. Safety beats sound suppression every day of the week. Regards JCS

All I can say is my own personal experience, using a 30 cal mod on 223, 243 and 308 definantley reduces the sound compared to having no mod on,

if you tested for sound decibles ,I gather there will be a difference between rifles, but it does the job for me and my lugs,and the bullet still hits POA

atb

kjf

I use a .338 mod on all my rifles, from .222 to .338, I know it's not as effective with the mouse calibers, but at £250 ish for a moderator, saves me well in excess of a grand, and all are quiet enough to use with no ear pro.

If you have a Wildcat p8 you can get a new diffuser in 308 if the threads are the same good if not buy a bridge with the thread you need

I use a .308 on the .308 and .284 and a .264 mod on that and the .243. 2 mods for 4 rifles.

Big gap from .308 to .22 though.

If you have a Wildcat p8 you can get a new diffuser in 308 if the threads are the same good if not buy a bridge with the thread you need

I use the third eye spartan. I have .22 cal baffles, but don't use them, it would be a very bad day if I accidentally used the smaller baffles on the 338, and muzzle thread makes no difference as all rifles have the brake fitted, and the mod screws to the brakes.

Back