Thread: Smallholders - Lambing

Smallholders - Lambing

Not sure whether I should be posting this here, or in "Training" or "Classifieds", but as it's got nothing to do with deer I thought this was as good a place as any...
    I know there's a number of smallholding folk on the SD, so this may be of interest to someone.

As a result of a couple of cancellations (due to ill health), two last-minute places have become available on our popular residential lambing course that we hold at our farm in North Wales each year.
    We've been running the course for 10 years now, and it's widely acclaimed as the "Rolls Royce" of sheep husbandry courses, attracting clients from all over the UK and even from abroad (Switzerland, Belgium, France and Hungary to name just a few).

The people who cancelled have already paid the deposit, so the places are available at a discount.

The course starts next Sunday (15th March) and runs 'til the 19th March.

Full details can be seen here: BROCHURE

A great opportunity for any small-scale flock owners who want to hone their skills.

(Admin - If I need to take out trade membership for this post, please let me know and I'll sort it).

have passed the details on to a mate who's daughter is in shepherdess training and keen to accumulate further experiences

Thanks for that

Several of our past students have gone on to become professional shepherds / shepherdesses, and we have provided a reference for them when applying for jobs, so could be ideal for your friend's daughter.

Hat's off to the genius of people paying you to lamb your sheep

I got paid for doing such work as a vet student. We teach basic lambing courses at the surgery in a few hours for a very modest fee.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Hat's off to the genius of people paying you to lamb your sheep

I got paid for doing such work as a vet student. We teach basic lambing courses at the surgery in a few hours for a very modest fee.

It's not quite as simple as that Apache!
    Not only do these guys get round-the-clock tuition with our flock, they get an in-depth presentation from our vet on vaccinations, medications etc, and a presentation from an independant nutritionist, and visits to other farms, and obstetrics practice using an artificial ewe, and a whole lot of other aspects of flock management are covered beyond just lambing. It's not stuff you can do in a few hours. Also accommodation and meals are provided. No-one else is offering a course quite like it, which is why it's always been so popular and highly thought of.
    We reckon anyone having been on our course can realistically cut lamb mortality rates in their flock to well below 5% (2-3% is easily achievable), which is pretty good going when you consider that nationally mortality rates in newborn lams run at around 15 - 20%

It's also damned hard work for us running the course, but incredibly rewarding - especially when we get emails from past students who've just lambed their own flocks for the first time without any losses.

Sounds like a great course to go for. Many a sleepless night will be spent for some. It should be kicking off the now or very shortly then once lambing is by with the shearing starts. Another nightmare for some......

Yes, kicking off any moment now. Been setting up pens all day. The course is timed to coincide with our peak lambing rush, so might get 100 or so lambs born during the course - plenty for folk to get involved in.
    Bit different from a lambing course being run by a certain TV celeb, where you might see a lamb born or you might not...!

Just one place left now.