308 Factory Round For Hinds.

cjs66

I've a invite for a hill stalk and want to take my R8, 308. I don't reload and I've just got the 308 barrel, I've had it on the range yesterday and it seams not to be fussy about any of the rounds I put through it. From PPU 143grn, SST 150grn, 168grn Hornady Match and some home loaded Berger 168grns. It liked them all. It did however get the Blaser click with a friends home loaded 168grn SSTs. On inspection the ones that failed to fire looked fractionally longer over all. They had also not been struck. They were his hunting round for his Sauer 200..Is this common? Can you recommend a good factory 308 round for hill stalking? I've used Hornady SSTs exclusively in my 243 to great effect.

Cheers, cjs

I've a invite for a hill stalk and want to take my R8, 308. I don't reload and I've just got the 308 barrel, I've had it on the range yesterday and it seams not to be fussy about any of the rounds I put through it. From PPU 143grn, SST 150grn, 168grn Hornady Match and some home loaded Berger 168grns. It liked them all. It did however get the Blaser click with a friends home loaded 168grn SSTs. On inspection the ones that failed to fire looked fractionally longer over all. They had also not been struck. They were his hunting round for his Sauer 200..Is this common? Can you recommend a good factory 308 round for hill stalking? I've used Hornady SSTs exclusively in my 243 to great effect.

Cheers, cjs

150gn Federal Powershoks work great in a .308 R8 and wont break the bank, did a great job for me recently on the red hinds in Scotland... If you can get hold of any, Norma Alaska also work great but are twice the price... Just PX'd my .308 R8 pro for an R8 Pro Success in 6.5x55.. as you aren't far away I have 4 boxes of Powershok you can have for £20 a pop if you like?

The Hornady SST is a great bullet choice I think. I use it in a 6.5x55 & there a good round.

I just used PPU 150's when I went. My mates were laughing at the cheapo box, lack of plastic cartridge holders and the rough sawn look of the bullets- until I put three touching on the test target on day 1 :rofl:

I just used PPU 150's when I went. My mates were laughing at the cheapo box, lack of plastic cartridge holders and the rough sawn look of the bullets- until I put three touching on the test target on day 1 :rofl:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Privi ammunition. I have used loads of it and it just works. But people can be really snobby about this sort of thing, I take no notice.

It liked them all.

It did however get the Blaser click with a friends home loaded 168grn SSTs.
On inspection the ones that failed to fire looked fractionally longer over all.
They had also not been struck.
They were his hunting round for his Sauer 200..Is this common?

If it likes them all choose one and go shoot
not a fan of SST's personally but any 150gr .308 cup and core that shoots straight will kill deer

Two things stand out about the rest of the post
1) don't use other people's homeloads in your rifle.
just not a good idea.
tight bore, tight chamber, pressure spikes etc etc

2) "the ones that failed to fire"....

if the first one is not firing and they fit into the category above...please don't start trying the others to see if there is a good one in your friends box
it FTF for a reason
as you pointed out, probably due to the OAL being too long for your rifle and the Blaser bolt not closing fully thereby not cocking and firing as seen

Just stating something you may already be aware of... the Hornady Match 168 grain cannot be used on deer as it is match/ target ammo and not classed as an expanding bullet.
I just used some Winchester 150 grain Super X Power Point factory rounds which did the job recently on hinds. Good luck

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Privi ammunition. I have used loads of it and it just works. But people can be really snobby about this sort of thing, I take no notice.

Tis is all I use in the 223,243 and 308,

roe , red and CWD have all been grassed using PPU,

atb

kjf

I use 150grain ssts in my sauer 200 which perform well on the hinds. I home load but the factory loads are good aswell.Sako 123grain are realy good aswell.

Regards Kev

Well i would say in my limited experience of shooting lowland red deer for the last 7 yrs or so , i would use exactly the same bullet as i would use for everything else ! :old:

Ok! Didn't mean to open the can of worms… I know match bullets are a no no on live quarry and as far as, use what your using now! I don't think its a good idea to put 243 rounds through my "new to me caliber" of 308. Just asking for a bit of advice for the job in hand. It might not of been my best idea to try someone else's homeloads but, I was given 5 to try and the first 3 were bang on, and when the forth didn't fire we thought there was a prob with the round. But when the the fifth was the same I knew something was wrong… Thanks for the replies.. Regards. cjs

PS, 150grn SSTs did the job… :D

150gn Federal Powershoks work great in a .308 R8 and wont break the bank, did a great job for me recently on the red hinds in Scotland... If you can get hold of any, Norma Alaska also work great but are twice the price... Just PX'd my .308 R8 pro for an R8 Pro Success in 6.5x55.. as you aren't far away I have 4 boxes of Powershok you can have for £20 a pop if you like?

I would be interested in the ammo if you still have it.
I bought your chain saw from you but cant quite remember where you live as Son picked it up for me.

Back