An SD exlcusive: the Moby Dick Playmobil set!

Pine Marten

I know it's not deerstalking, but it is hunting: I have finally completed the assembly of the Playmobil Moby Dick set for YPM's bath time. I don't care what anyone says, this is one of the coolest things that's ever been done.

MobyDickPlaymobil.jpg

How cool is that, but the guy in the yellow hat looks sea sick

You mean Ishmael? Well he's being dragged along at 30mph by a really angry huge great sperm whale on a boat made of matchsticks, he's having a tough time of it! I mean it's all Queequeg can do to hold on for dear life to the gunwales after launching that harpoon.

isn't the whale the wrong colour?!

Well Playmobil don't make an actual Moby Dick figurine, but the beauty of the system is that your imagination's the limit. And I'm imagining that this whale is white... Actually it scared the daylights out of YPM when I dropped it in his bath yesterday evening. Admittedly it did look like there was a great big fish in there suddenly. But he does like the simplified, illustrated story that I read him. So we shall now reintroduce this set in context, with the story. Then we can play Moby Dick...

then you can tell him the whole story ,that if it where not for the whale industry there wouldnt be any lights,then lamplight,then longer hours working ,then street lights.then less crime ,then night shifts, more production, the industrial revolution all around the world ,then mass production, up to today,THEN BLOODY CAMERON and his cronies,atb doug,

then you can tell him the whole story ,that if it where not for the whale industry there wouldnt be any lights,then lamplight,then longer hours working ,then street lights.then less crime ,then night shifts, more production, the industrial revolution all around the world ,then mass production, up to today,THEN BLOODY CAMERON and his cronies,atb doug,

Well I'd sort of planned on stopping at:

"[...] On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan."

pretty cool I wonder if my daughters would like one for their bath"honest"
You will of course have to explain that Ahab was an early equal opportunities employer and that of course it's wrong to hunt anything and actually it was only harpooned for scientific purposes!

Damn!

It was a fine reading:

BBC Radio 4 - Classic Serial, Herman Melville - Moby Dick, Episode 1

Moby Dick is a story, she says, that gets its hooks into you, even though it's one of the strangest books you'll ever read. It has very little narrative, no character development to speak of, and there's no dramatic conflict for over five hundred pages. And yet it's completely compelling, like a fevered dream or a horror film, and, of course, as soon as Moby Dick is mentioned, you know where you're going to end up. For anyone who has ever longed to escape, it is the ultimate trip - and the ultimate morality tale of why you shouldn't go! Captain Ahab is all our darknesses personified; not an evil figure, but a decent, intelligent, could-have-been-ordinary man who gives in to the tyranny of an obsessive dream, or in this case, nightmare.

K

Last edited:
A very good and succinct analysis. I am always surprised to find folks outside America who are avid fans of some of our books. But Moby Dick is truly something which has a universal appeal from the first page.

And it was a first novel, inspired by a true story, but Melville's imagination took it from there.

A very good and succinct analysis. I am always surprised to find folks outside America who are avid fans of some of our books. But Moby Dick is truly something which has a universal appeal from the first page.

And it was a first novel, inspired by a true story, but Melville's imagination took it from there.
Well, we all know where the wonderful central character in the film "Jaws" came from. Surely??

K

Back