SNH - Competency

kuwinda

Just wondering if anyone has heard a squeak re SNH's devolved responsibility to assess the "competence" of those stalking deer in Scotland unaccompanied, since its now wearing on for a year since this was passed in their direction.

I have had a look on the website and have previously (though admittedly not for a while) tried to phone them without success.

While looking though I found this -

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2014/05/2852/298190 - see "17. Next Steps" - I think its a clue?

No - they'll just require everyone "stalking deer unaccompanied" to have DSC 1 - its a pretty well understood agenda from SNH - it was in the original draft of the WANE Act.

What's still not clear to me is how this will be done - a condition on the FAC, a requirement placed on those leasing, selling, managing stalking to ensure that those under their charge are so qualified - or bringing in a new bill establishing a Criminal Offence?

I don't know.

they will run a course for a large fee ?

long way off but coming down the pipe

the result hinges on the "community" self regulating with regard to competency
Something I brought up in the AW thread

get yourself on the fit and competent register ASAP!

I don't for a second believe it depends on anything - the law clearly states that SNH "must" carry out a review of competence and report thereon - I think the agenda is clear and can be taken as originally read in the original draft of the WANE Act - the minima will be DSC 1 - just a question of when and how.

I already have DSC 1 & 2 (long ago) and am registered F&C so in truth it probably won't really affect me too much.

What interests me and what I really can't get my head round though is how SNH will implement this - as far as I can see from Section 17A the only way this can be done is by registering everyone deemed competent to shoot deer - seems like a bit of an undertaking. Also sounds like another shell out - not just for the DSC 1 if you don't have this but also for the "registration".

long way off but coming down the pipe

the result hinges on the "community" self regulating with regard to competency
Something I brought up in the AW thread

get yourself on the fit and competent register ASAP!

I don't for a second believe it depends on anything - the law clearly states that SNH "must" carry out a review of competence and report thereon - I think the agenda is clear and can be taken as originally read in the original draft of the WANE Act - the minima will be DSC 1 - just a question of when and how.

I already have DSC 1 & 2 (long ago) and am registered F&C so in truth it probably won't really affect me too much.

What interests me and what I really can't get my head round though is how SNH will implement this - as far as I can see from Section 17A the only way this can be done is by registering everyone deemed competent to shoot deer - seems like a bit of an undertaking. Also sounds like another shell out - not just for the DSC 1 if you don't have this but also for the "registration".

They already do it based on reference and dsc2
my bigger concern is the regulation of something so disparate by a government body
to many political agendas and class/power struggles embedded in this

Was there not something in the original WANE where it stated ALL stalkers would have to be on a 'register' fo shoot deer unacompanied even on ur own land, think Basc, SGA etal managed to get that taken off which left the vague competnece thing so door is still open if they can convince enough people it is needed

The original WANE draft did indeed have such a requirement - can't quite remember if DSC 1 was stated, but that was the intention. It was changed after widespread disquiet - the result was the requirement (17B) for SNH to "review" -

SNH must carry out a review of the following matters if the power in section 17A(1) is not exercised by 1st April 2014—(a)levels of competence among persons who shoot deer in Scotland;
(b)the effect of such levels of competence on deer welfare.

..and thereafter to issue a report on such review. I'm supposing such a report would need to be public?? There is also a requirement to consult concerned organisations and persons - as far as I am aware such consultation has not happened - I have looked.

Was there not something in the original WANE where it stated ALL stalkers would have to be on a 'register' fo shoot deer unacompanied even on ur own land, think Basc, SGA etal managed to get that taken off which left the vague competnece thing so door is still open if they can convince enough people it is needed

Back