Butchery on call your thoughts

matmull243

Alright there my names matt and I stay in west Lothian and was wanting some feedback on my small business thought ! I'm a fully qualified butcher and by trade ! I was thinking I could come to you !. So I was thinking for me to come to you within a reasonable mileage I would fully debone your roe and leave you to cut your steaks and do your diceing and whatever ️️yous want to use for sausages and burgers for £25 to £30 depending on where you live and for red £35 to £40!. And if ️you wanted me to cut it all in to steaks and do the diceing and separate the trim for your burgers and sausage for roe I would ask £35 to £40 on where you live and for red 45 to £50 and hopefully if all things go well I would take your carcass away and package your steaks and dicing the way you want it and make your burgers and sausages and u was thinking £60 to £70 for roe depending what sausage and burgers you wanted made and £70 and 80 for red depending on what you wanted done with it !? Thanks Matt would like to hear your thoughts good or bad thanks

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be a few who would take you up on the offer, seems reasonable pricing, as not everyone can do there own beast, quite a few will probably just joint them, or take to a butcher.

M

I can say that Matt's butchering skills are first class he knows all the cuts to get the most out of a beast and his burgers and sausages are braw to say the least!
He has butchered a few Roe for me and we have spent a good few hours making burgers and sausages and tried out some new recipies and they are getting better every time :thumb:
And the best bit for me is he's married to my daughter so happy days :tiphat:

Matt,

Stalking as a recreational hobby is growing like wildfire, with many amateurs taking paid stalks and bringing home the carcass. . . Once home they haven't a blind clue how to butcher it up.

If you were willing to process it into burgers, steaks etc I think you may well have a profitable wee sideline.

Effectively you are offering a skill that the vast majority don't have. . . . Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say, go for it and see how things pan out.

i love butchering my own deer , but i get loads of people ask me for help with home kill etc . why limit yourself to just deer ?

Matt,

Stalking as a recreational hobby is growing like wildfire, with many amateurs taking paid stalks and bringing home the carcass. . . Once home they haven't a blind clue how to butcher it up.

If you were willing to process it into burgers, steaks etc I think you may well have a profitable wee sideline.

Effectively you are offering a skill that the vast majority don't have. . . . Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say, go for it and see how things pan out.

yeah it hopefully going to be the start of Somthing but I will be back when I get my self sorted proper but will post soon to get myself started thanks again for your input !

I butcher my own deer and am probably a few miles out of your range but I have to say I think this is a good idea, I have helped quite a few stalkers butcher their carcasses and I am no professional butcher!!

I would think if you could extend your services to smallholders etc that kill their own animals, perhaps advertise on some of those forums that may be a good idea.

Also perhaps offer some tuition to people who already butcher their own as well?

My butcher charges me 20 note to do the full deer mate. I drop it off in the skin and pick it up packaged. He dose all the stalker near me and a lot from over your way.

My butcher charges me 20 note to do the full deer mate. I drop it off in the skin and pick it up packaged. He dose all the stalker near me and a lot from over your way.

Can i ask how it comes for your £20? As in broken down to large cuts bone in, or fully steaked, chunked, sausaged etc or something in between? £20 seems dirt cheap but i am from the price inflated north east!

Also contact your local shoots, many people don't know how to dress birds, see if you can do a deal for processing.

good idea
ditch the travel and get people to drop of an collect or I can't see you making anything at all
some game dealers in Edinburgh will do the same but its usually more than you are suggesting and I am never sure if it would be mine I am getting

I do my own personally
its part of the process I enjoy

not everyone's cup of tea having the kitchen table look like a RTA though!!

Chris it comes how I want mate. Pies peppered steaks 1/4 pound burgers square or link sausage.Also get sausage rolls and lots of scotch pies. I do pay a big extra for the pastry.

20 notes per deer now that is the deal of the year in my eyes! Any chance you can pass on the details to me as I will gladly pay that for a load of burgers and sausages and steaks I cant even buy all the ingredients for all the burgers etc for that price !

Chris it comes how I want mate. Pies peppered steaks 1/4 pound burgers square or link sausage.Also get sausage rolls and lots of scotch pies. I do pay a big extra for the pastry.

WOW! That is a good price. Need to find me a deal like that. Once I take into account washing everything down afterwards, including the mincer, and having a stinking wheelie bin in the summer, I would be hard pushed to turn that down.

Would gladly pay that as don't have a proper place to butcher my deer. Usually get some help from my mate who's a keeper and has plenty of larder space.

It's a great idea but I'm afraid I can't see it working as a business. In the cold light of day you would need to do three deer per day to stand any chance of making any money. If pitched to the domestic stalker market I would imagine that all the variable factors would be a nightmare. If you had a small chiller at home so that customers could drop the carcasses to you then you cut them and deliver the produce back might work better than trying to do it at their homes.

A better idea might be to contact Estates and offer a service to come to their larders and cut their deer for them. Many estates like to have a few deer cut and send the rest to the gamedealers and the job usually falls to someone who doesn't generally have the skills, time or equipment to do it well. If you could get a regular couple of days here and there then that would keep the wolf from the door and allow you to develop the business in whatever direction it takes. I also suspect that, if you are regularly visiting various estate larders then you could possibly make a few quid extra by supplying cleaning products etc. Maybe even dog food?

One thing I know for certain, stay away from the gamebird side of things.

Mat mull this is what we get back and I know Widowson gets similar from his butcher .So the competition is quite strong This cost me 22pounds per deer.

Many an English stalker has tasted my meat lol.

Back