Building a sleeping / shooting box

Bavarianbrit

Well, surprised me when I was given an old caravan chassis in good shape on Tuesday this week and am now planning to fit it out as a 1.60m x 2.00m box on top of it with 4x shooting windows 1x access door and a sleeping bench for those long vigils for catching marauding boar working out on the maize.
So far no money invested.
Martin

Chassis was shortened today to be more flexible when reversing and so as not to annoy the farmers by covering too much crop area from the farmers field then it was welded back together. Took 3 hours to do so far spent nowt cashwise on it.
Martin

Now it is all painted battleship grey (all I had left over) plus I added some M12 bolts passing through the two (one inside the other and then welded together frames) to function as shear studs to stop any risk of the chassis starting any horizontal movement when starting towing it after it will have been sitting out for some months in one position and then everything locks up a little which would then be stressing out the welds.
Now it is up to the other hunter on this lease to add the shooting box on top of the chassis.
Martin

Interesting post Martin, I'm looking forward to hear how this develops, some pics would be great.

Good luck :D

go to the picture frame third diagram from the right click on it then click on from computor it takes you to your gallerys click on picture/s it loads you press select file it loads as they say in a foreign language viola! it should work,this is coming from an it moron so if i can do it anyone can,:thumb: mind you i still dont know how to do the click here link thingummie bob doodah!

Last edited:
I just spoke to the other hunter on this project who now has the chassis at his home and his plan is to build a rectangular box on it with the two front corners chamfered off to give it rear, two sides, and three in the front shooting windows but also for it to be long enough to allow short naps to be taken in it while sitting out on all night vigils waiting for the boar to come by.
It gets more complicated by the day.
Martin.

I finally finished this on the weekend and it turned out ok. Only spent £45 on sheeting for it the rest was stuff lying around/reclaimed or destined for the skip ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 189
Rotating the photos is a bit beyond my patience threshold so you can rotate your monitors lol.

Just make sure those wendy houses are well strapped down guys. My mates one blew over even though it had a good wide base.

The one we are building is being built on top of an old shortened caravan chassis for maximum versatility to be able move it to where the boar are causing the farmers the most agro.
Those vertical sheds on legs will need two 30 to 45 degree poles from the top of frame down to the ground to resist winds blowing them over.
I have the last 20 years of different german hunting mags so I could scan some plans of them as jpgs if anyone is interested unless copyright is an issue.
Admin = any problems with that?
Martin

The one we are building is being built on top of an old shortened caravan chassis for maximum versatility to be able move it to where the boar are causing the farmers the most agro.
Those vertical sheds on legs will need two 30 to 45 degree poles from the top of frame down to the ground to resist winds blowing them over.
I have the last 20 years of different german hunting mags so I could scan some plans of them as jpgs if anyone is interested unless copyright is an issue.
Admin = any problems with that?
Martin

I based mine on a plan from a booklet I got off a German friend but I'm sure the forum members would appreciate some if you can supply them as my patience with computers puts me out with that one.

I have secured mine with guy wires tightened with fencing radishes (maybe difficult to see in the pic) and it took a fair accidental knock from the full slew when the materials were getting lifted up and didn't move.

Back