Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar bullets what calibre?

Boar bullets what calibre?

Hi big Boar hunting chaps,
    Can I ask you a question please concerning calibres for Boar shooting. What ammo/calibre/grain do you use and what is the minimum calibre you would advise using on these marvellous beasts?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Beowolf,
    Iím no expert and can only speak from experience. The trips I have done are mainly driven and I used a .270 on the first trip with 150 grain Nosler Partition ammo and they worked fine, but I always felt under gunned, when I looked around the guys on that trip, the range of calibresí was very varied from my calibre up to the 9.3mm over and unders with open sights.
    After that I used a 30.06 with 180 grain Nosler Partition ammo, again this combo did the job just fine, 30.06 and 308 seemed to be very popular with guys who do quite a lot of Wild Boar shooting be it driven or high seats, But like most things it is personal preference, but if were to pin me down 30.06 or 308 are fine and for longish shoots from a high seat they may have the edge from some of the bigger calibres but watch this someone will not agree its just my opinion.
    Good look

Hi steve

My own personal preference is for 180 gn hornady interbonds in a .308 or a .30-06 or maybe even a .375 Double.

.308 x 180gn round nose have done the job on several occassions for me.
    I too have noticed a trend for people just lately to go for the larger calibres which is fine as a dedicated Boar rifle, also I've noticed the second shot on the larger calibres seem to be a bit errattic! not very useful when you have more than one Pig coming towards you!!
    The .308 is ideal as a Deer rifle using 150gn bullets and the 180gn does for the Boar.

Thank you all for your replies. I shoot a 308 for deer using Sako 150 grain. I also have a batch of 180 grain coming that have been loaded for me by a very good friend who is also a member of this site. So I think that I'm all set! I'll get them zero'd and get back to you all.

Thanks again. Mr B

i use 180grain soft points out of a 30-06 and on ocassions hav took my .375 HH using speer hot cor 235grain semi-spitzer not shot a boar with this yet but there is still time

Umm .. well possibly shouldn't metion this but well hey ho
    When I was a young twenty something me and my mate used to hunt pigs and anything else that got in our way in the woods above St. Tropez where the cork trees grew.. my weapon out of necessity was a 30-30 winchester with whatever shells the local supermarket garden centre sold and my mate used a shotgun with what I think was a type of SG shot they were not big animals but they all ended up very dead.. in those days we were a lot less concerned with correct calibres.

The locals told us they ussually used shotguns or whatever they had to hand.. when you saw them go out for a days hunting a looked more like a drunken lynch mob than a hunting
    They never seemed to miss much though, I suppose it depends on how big your pig is?
    Did anyone see the guy on TV this weekend has been all in the papers saying about the Matriarchal nature of boar society and if you shoot the herd mother? then it would lead to probs maybe this is something that needs to be considered while the boar is fairly new to our present day eco system.

Hi Mr B
    I would prefer any 30 cal using 165 +, Gary shot his with a 308/165 grns hit slightly high it dropped on the spot but I had a lung shot Boar shot with a .375 H&H run about 80 yards???
    Andy uses a 8x68/200grn and I as you know use a 375 H&H/235 or 250 grn. I'm sure some some slightly smaller cal's would do the job but in the Uk most of us don't have a pack of dogs following a "runner" and I personally don't want to crawl into a nice bit of thick cover with a torch looking for one (so I would push Andy in )

I'm a new boy to this boar shooting, but none of the ones I shot in Poland complained. I used Sako 150grn hammer heads in 7x64. Shot one in Italy using a 30.06, but interestingly the five rounds in the mag were all different makes and weights! I guess as most shots are taken sub 50yds, and all at moving targets, pin point accuracy is not sought after.

Beowulf, you just beat me to this topic, we have got boar showing up on the odd occasion here in Mid Devon, at the moment i use a .243 for my deer stalking, but i will have to consider moving up to a .308 in the near future for the boar, just need to get around to applying for the variation and saving some money!