Ground game on fac

mickp

Just got my firearms licence back from police Scotland after a variation (done in 8 days) and has under conditions ground game, what comes under ground game???image.jpg

moles!:thumb:and everything to do with fac,s and sgc,s is strange thats why you get a different views off everyone ,even the police,i gave up long ago,:-|

Last edited:
Yip feo is quiet good up here never had a problem with police Scotland aways been quick and efficient with me.

i wish some of your lads could do a semester around here ,gmp,or cheshire,dont get me wrong feo s ok but boy do they make you sweat,!!

Don't know sent it away and got a call from Pitt street asking a few questions 2 days later fac came through the door. Give them a phone ask them what's happening

I too would like to know how you got your variation done in 8 days... I'm from Lanarkshire too
I went into the new office and asked what the delays are.. "We're mobbed, understaffed now and I'm going away on a course this week to learn a new computer system" I'll try and get round to urs when I get back next week..

Im sorry but 3 months for a variation.... When my renewal comes thru I'm handing in the forms 7 months in advance.... Ever since the creation of Police Scotland the whole system has gone to rat s***..........

Just got my firearms licence back from police Scotland after a variation (done in 8 days) and has under conditions ground game, what comes under ground game???View attachment 53855

I had 'vermin' on my FAC for my .17HMR but the Glos. Police required me to apply for 'Ground Game' if I were to shoot hare with it.
From the landowners point of view, in this case a vegetable grower, the hare is 'vermin', but from the Law's point of view it is 'Game'.
What makes things slightly overcomplicated in Gloucestershire is that they refuse to add 'AOLQ' (*)-despite the Home Office Guidance'. This is, as I understand it, relating to possible confusion with the Gloucestershire badger cull, the Police is concerned that people think they can shoot badgers if they are granted AOLQ. The word 'Lawful' in AOLQ already deals with that issue, IMHO.

(*) for most, not for everybody ;)

Bless them.

Last edited:
I find it strange that the conditions tend to name one/two/three things and then "Any other lawful quarry". Why not just say "Any lawful quarry" and leave it?

it used to be standard
first is the condition the rifle has been issued to you for
second is removing any quarry restrictions

they used to be:

1a - Vermin and Ground game
1b - Vermin ground game and Fox
1c - Fox and Deer
1d - Deer

now I was informed that they were doing away with the conditions

Mine has "All lawful quarry" and "Target"
no rifles named
all rifles cleared for all things including zombies, paparazzi and some former members of staff of the BBC

Oh Gawd! As others say some people are verbal windbags!

Do "these people" have a fetish for looking through books of archaic statutes? Ground game, as far as I understand, is that as defined in the "Ground Game Act 1880" that in interpretation clause, Clause 8, states "ground game means hares and rabbits".

Really some folk want to get a grip! What's wrong with just putting "hares and rabbits" so as to remove all doubt. Gawd!

Back