Really basic reloading. Worth it?

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
So it seems to me that reloading is one of the most popular spin off hobbies from stalking. Next to dog training, DIY accessories, and moaning about FLDs.
For the common man like me who doesn't shoot very much, and hasn't the time, money or range access to test countless combinations is there any benefit to taking up this dark art? Are the gains in performance and accuracy really so marked, and how much development is involved in finding that perfect load? Why aren't factory loads as good?
If I were to do it, it would have to quickly pay for itself vs the cost of factory ammo, so I'd be using the "hit it with a mallet" reloading tool and some kind of scoop measures, I guess. No fancy machines, expensive scales, etc. (what else would I need?)
Whilst it would be interesting to have a go and see what I could do, I'd really have to justify to myself that I would gain something over buying factory stuff. If the truth is that I'd need a big cash outlay, easy range access, chronograph, tens of different powder/bullet combinations, etc, etc then that's fine, I'll forget it and keep buying factory. But if I can happily make up a few loads to try and be sure of at least equalling factory accuracy and being cheaper, then I'll get to it!
I'll be sure to properly research reloading for my calibre if I do decide it's worth a go, of course, but first I need the input of you folks who have the knowledge. Basically - is it worth bothering?

One of the big issues with reloading is some make it out to be, as you say a "dark art" which quite simply isn't true if all you are looking for is a more consistant than factory accurate hunting rounds.

Richard Lee's videos and books display this perfectly and most start with the statement that a round is simply a brass cartridge, primer, powder and bullet, simple as that.

i agree the dark part can be as light or dark as you choose but a big decider for me was the fact that ammunition built with a £40 lee loader held a shooting frescoes for a long time so it must say something about its quality.

i would advise anyone starting out to have a look at a lee loader, and read the instructions on it, super simple, and incredibly satisfying when you get a nice tight group.

total cost will be te loader (£40) the primers (£5) some
powder (£35) and some bullets (£30) and this will rattle out around 100 rounds and obviously that doesn't use all the powder up.

regards,
Gixer

I look forward to seeing the responses to this as I'm at the same place & considering pros & cons when I can already get sub 1 moa with factory rounds.

I reload for both a 308 and a 22/250 using the whack it with mallet method only other thing I've bought was a sett of scales and a powder trickler both guns will shoot into a half inch I can't say if cost wise I'm saving but I do shoot quite a lot and as long as I've components there I'll always have rounds,got to say I also shoot privvi rounds in both guns I pay £15 for 20 and they shoot into less than an inch.if your thinking about it depending on calibre it may be worth checking the Lee loaders that bewsher had for sale that's the ones I use.gd luck Stuart.

If you've already found a factory round you're happy with, don't shoot much, and your only interest in reloading is to save money:

Don't start reloading, there's nothing in it for you.

If you've already found a factory round you're happy with, don't shoot much, and your only interest in reloading is to save money:

I disagree. If you load a round that supplants a given factory round, then you are never at the whim and will of a supplier. How often to you see posts asking if anyone has seen a box of a given ammo on a shelf? Happens all the time and more often as of late. The Lee Classic is perfect for the casual shooter. No looking for factory ammo: just load and shoot then put the stuff away til next time. With the Lee Classic I can load a round in 1min, 6 seconds when I hit my stride. That's less than a half hour for a box of ammo that is always an arms reach away VS a trip to the store for a box of ammo that may or may not be there when you arrive.~Muir

As Muir says probably the only reason for you, in your exact circumstances, to reload is continuity of supply. If you have a reliable supply of ammo locally to you then you'd probably be better not to bother with the reloading. You also need to take into account the supply of reloading components - it may be that your favourite ammo is more readily available than the components to reload would be.

I've found that I can buy factory ammo that will shoot as well as anything I can reload, however, I reload just to ensure that I always have some ammo.

If you want to improve accuracy then your time and money is much, much better spent with a bit of practise.

SS. It's a complex topic. In principle you can get away without reloading. If I consider 1984, I fired one shot in the entire year. However I now shoot a little more and practice a bit and compete. Where reloading becomes a necessity for me is if I want to shoot on a formal range or compete in a formal competition with my 260 Rem, or previously my 243 Win, then I need to load up some ammunition with match bullets.

If I didn't shoot a lot and didn't want to reload, I would probably major on a .308 Win and buy soft points for deer and match ammunition for competitions.

You may be wondering why I'm mentioning competing? Well, to me it's the only way to see how you measure up against other folk and it's certainly driven a small improvement in my rifle shooting over the last 10-12 years.

In summary, analyse where you personally want to get to.

Best regards

JCS

If you shoot cartridges with limited choices of ammunition, like 7x64 in some places, 8x60S for sure, .22 Savage HP, .32-40, etc you will want to reload. If you want a bullet not offered in ammunition, you have to reload.

Or if you are shooting something like a .375 H&H, .458 Win, or some double rifle at $120 a box, you will be smart to reload.

I can reload a box of premium .308 for $9.00 USD a box.
I just bought 500 Hornady bullets for .38 Special for $22.00. I can reload a box of 50 for about 1/3 the cost of buying them.

A Lee O-press or hand press is only about $30.00.
Set of dies, a bit less.
Scales, digital calipers, funnel, lubricating pad, brushes, other tools, and your total is less than $200.00 for a lifetime.
150 loads from a pound of powder, bullets 30 cents each, primers 4 cents, re-using your brass = $10 a box for most rifle cartridges, .223 half that.

Most of all, it adds to the completeness of your hobby, by adding skills. It is like building your own fly rod, or making your own knife, or building your own strip wood kayak or sailboat. And when someone stares at your tiny group and the range and asks, "What ammuntion is that?", the satisfaction of saying, "My concoction."

Simon, you're not far from me and I'll happily run you through the basis of reloading, plus I've got a Lee Loader kit in .270 knocking about somewhere if you want it.

Adam.

I brought a Lee Loader and a electronic scale to try and save money as the majority of 6.5x55 is +/-£30 a box. without counting the brass which I have from factory rounds it costs about 70p a shot so well worth it.

Accuracy wise I am certainly a very average shot but it will do just under an inch at 100yds. The best was 1 inch at 200 which is probably more luck than anything, certainly capable of a chest shot on any deer in normal circumstances.

I look forward to seeing the responses to this as I'm at the same place & considering pros & cons when I can already get sub 1 moa with factory rounds.

Me too, often thought about it but really don't get to use that much ammo apart from a visit to the Mil ranges with the club, then can go through a lot.

regards WB

I did it last year with a Lee Loader and digital scales.
The aim was to get Norma 50g Vmax accuracy for PPU 55g soft point price for my .223.
I certainly achieved that with .5" 3 shot and .75" 5shot groups although I've ended up using 60g Noslers too.
Not including Brass which I have plenty of, it's costs me 60p a round.

i had a rush of blood three weeks ago,bought a press and a full set of dies tried and set the dies smiled to myself then placed dies back in tub fixed a worktop across spare bedroom then two high shelves? and fixed the said press to my shiny worktop, for three weeks ive been walking in and out of that room now looking around and then coming out, :rofl: my misses just gives me evils and shaking her head, ps ive seen more episodes of spud1967 than coronation st,i forgot i also sprayed everything with tt it smells nice,ssshh when shes on hols im away for some powder ,primers,and some pointy bits oh and a manual,

Last edited:
As said before,

If you use calibres that you can't get ammo off the shelf for,you will need to reload, And I load for the fact that I love it, it gets me out in the gun room/garage and away from the wife for a few hours,

As for it being a dark are, what a load of pants if I can do it just about anyone can,

Its what you make it,

Good luck

Bob,

The reason I reload I have been reloading for about 30+ years I use to shoot pistol I reloaded about 1000 rounds a week training for competitions so when they banned hand guns. I naturally started shooting Rifle and got conversion kits from Dillon for my 650 to load rifle. I have a Mauser M03 and have a 6.5x55 and .3006 barrels I shoot about 50 round a week and with good factory ammo it shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards but with my home loads it shoots 1/4 inch groups all day long.
I get allot of satisfaction testing different bullet heads and powders till I find the best configuration to mach my barrels and I get allot of enjoyment from it. I cannot enjoy shooting unless I know I am shooting to the best of my and my rifles capability
Re-loading is not difficult there,s lots of books and loading data from the powder manufacturers and bullet manufacturers and on you tube there,s lots of videos to help the novice and the advanced loader anyone can do it its no big deal RCBS have videos on line on every aspect of reloading.
But as someone has already said if you only shoot 20 round a month and get good groups its not worth the outlay you would never recoup your money. but if you do start just follow the info in the data books very closely because it can be very
dangerous if your not careful but there lots of shooters on this site that will help you if you need it.

Buy a reloading manual and read it. Read it a couple of times. The Lyman manual gives clear explanations & so does the Lee manual. See how it all works first & then follow your nose. you can also pick up bits on you tube.

Back