257 Weatherby Mag

Looked at the ballistics of one when looking at a "Quarter Bore" seems to be scarily fast to me.

Interesting to hear what people find though

ATB,

Scrummyu

as a very smart and experienced man once said to me,,avoid ANYTHING Weatherby,,just trouble with brass, costs, esp. feeding due to shoulders, etc. etc.

as another very smart man also said to me once, I'd like a .257 Roberts...

as a very smart and experienced man once said to me,,avoid ANYTHING Weatherby,,just trouble with brass, costs, esp. feeding due to shoulders, etc. etc.

as another very smart man also said to me once, I'd like a .257 Roberts...

Flattery PV, will get you into places you may not find it as easy to extricate yourself from as you'd like it to be ;)

Have to say, when I was out in Africa, the PHs used to dread people who arrived with weatherby magnums! Too fast for decent penetration. Bullets break up and as someone said to me, instant flinch in a fancy stock!

Best wishes,

David.

Last edited:
Look at the load data for a 257 WNY and the 25-06. In 100 grain bullets you get 200 fps more but need almost 50% more powder to do it at an increase of 5000 psi. Brass is expensive. The 25-06 is 'over bore' as it is. A 257 WBY is more so.
The 257 Roberts: the King of the Quarterbores.~Muir

That's the way I look at it too, I have a 25/06 love it to bits dynamite accuracy power to spare, it shoots 115 Berger VLD's under .5MOA at 3100fps still has over 2100fps at 500 metres, The 257 mag shoots like a laser I would like one too a bit like a Ferrari expensive to run,
In reality a 257 Roberts would be a better calibre I want one of them as well and a 25/20 have the whole range covered, also the 25/06 and .257 Weatherby need 26" barrels to get their performance the Roberts is fine with 22":)

I shoot 257 weatherby hard to get brass I got it from Germany but it can be hard to get brass for reloading a times . It shots fast and flat I shoot mine with r22 and Speer 100g spbt at 3425fps drops reds ass if hit by lightning plus its good long range on all deer. Ask Buggsy on her he shot some red stags with it on the hill one day he was very pleased with the performance at 300+.

That's the way I look at it too, I have a 25/06 love it to bits dynamite accuracy power to spare, it shoots 115 Berger VLD's under .5MOA at 3100fps still has over 2100fps at 500 metres, The 257 mag shoots like a laser I would like one too a bit like a Ferrari expensive to run,
In reality a 257 Roberts would be a better calibre I want one of them as well and a 25/20 have the whole range covered, also the 25/06 and .257 Weatherby need 26" barrels to get their performance the Roberts is fine with 22":)

I would have thought that in NZ there would be no shortage of 25-20's. Australia is the second home of that fine little cartridge. I bought two of them from a dealer there.~Muir

I had one it was great fun for a while especially on foxes 4000 fps, uses a lot of powder for no significant advantage. You can neck down 7mm rem mag cases a little short but never caused a problem

I had one it was great fun for a while especially on foxes 4000 fps, uses a lot of powder for no significant advantage. You can neck down 7mm rem mag cases a little short but never caused a problem

Interesting notion, but have to say that I doubt this having tried it. After reforming the neck is too thick, plus the .257 Wby has a venturi shoulder which doesn't form properly. The .300 WM case is a better idea, but even more work.

7mm Wby is possible - .270 Wby is a maybe - but .257 Wby didn't chamber in a Mk V so final fire-forming was out. You need to start out with proprietary brass, which is mega-expensive.

If there's another way (?) PM me your technique :lol:

Worked with the brass I had and fire formed OK in my rifle. I did nothing special used new brass full length resize loaded standard load for fire forming.

It is like a Lotus sports car.. exotic, not for everyday use, expensive to operate.
It is a very inefficient cartridge, and barrels burn out fast.

A .257 Roberts is about ideal for a .25 caliber rifle.

A .270 Winchester will let you scratch your hyper-velocity itch with 110-gr Barnes, and then resume hunting with practical weights of 130, 140, and 150 - a much more versatile rifle than any .25.

A friend bought an almost new 257wby. After we bedded the rifle it shoots very well. Early days for a verdict on deer as he shot only a few so far.
I have a 25-06 here that I never fired, no interest. I am still waiting for a Roberts... now that would be really nice for a Sunday rifle.
edi

I am still waiting for a Roberts... now that would be really nice for a Sunday rifle.
edi

I still want to build another .257 Roberts on a 1903A3 Springfield action, as a 20-inch barrel Mannlicher stock.
But I will have to buy yet another 1903. I cant' bear to sacrifice any of my present ones.

It is hard to beat a Kimber 84 in .257 Rob, if you are going to mount a small scope on it. French walnut and fine checkering and fitting for $1,000 USD.

Got a friend who has just bought one for piggies, (257 Weatherby Mag). While he has dug some brass out of Brownells is there anyone in the Uk that holds loaded ammo?.

Thanks.

A

Got a friend who has just bought one for piggies, (257 Weatherby Mag). While he has dug some brass out of Brownells is there anyone in the Uk that holds loaded ammo?.

Thanks.

A
Hi.
Try Tim Hannams. They list Hornady .257 Weatherby.

Yorkie.

I would have thought that in NZ there would be no shortage of 25-20's. Australia is the second home of that fine little cartridge. I bought two of them from a dealer there.~Muir
You're right Muir there are quite a lot of them but the only ones that come up for sale are stuffed and need a new barrel, I supply a guy with cast bullets that has a Winchester 92 and a Savage 23, I haven't been able to find a shootable one yet.

Winchester in recent years has made a run of 1892s in .25-20 and .25-35 which were super nice, but priced high as a cat's back.

At least I may be able to get some .25-35 brass at a reasonable price from which to form .22 Savage Hi Power.

Back