Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 Stalking Loads

.303 Stalking Loads

Does anyone have a favourite .303 recipe for stalking? I am looking for a load to take all UK species and am undecided between the 180gr and 150gr soft points.

Cheers for any help.

What factory ammunition does it like?

All my .303s shot the Sellier & Bellot 174-gr FMJ and their soft points very well.
    They shoot the Remington 180-gr RN CoreLokt to the same point at the 174-gr military rounds, out to 200 yards, which is plenty far enough. So my goal has been to replicate that load. I have not been able to get Remington bullets for it for years, so I now load the Hornady 180-gr RN. I have loaded 150-gr, but only taken game with the 180-gr, as my sights are set up for it and I have a great deal of confidence in it.

You don't say what powder you have.
    Varget, RL-15, 4895 and W-760/H-414 all work weil with 150-gr.
    I use 39.5 grains of Varget with Hornady 150-gr SPT.

4350 and W-760 are best for me with 174-gr or 180-gr bullets, but 39.0 to 40.0 gr of Varget or RL-15 work well, too. These are right under 2,400 fps, and the 174s shoot to the ladder sights as far as I have shot them (600 yards). 44.0 gr IMR-4350 (2,425 fps) , and 46.0 gr W-760 ( 2,500 fps)

Start about 4 grains below all my loads above.

Thanks Southern. I have some H414 available.

I am starting from scratch, I do not wish to fall into the trap of buying what comes up first and then trying to develop a round that fits the components I have or choosing a load from data tables alone.

I haven't seen the old three Oh three mentioned on here much before. Are these original Lee Enfields? Those old service rifles were very popular for hunting in NZ - literally thousands of deer fell to them over the years. Hard to find one in good condition now though. One of these was my first rifle. Are yours scoped? Love to see some photos.
    Kind regards,

I have one of your NZ Enfields, a .22 Training Rifle from WWII, built off the No.1 MkIII. My magazine box has the spring and follower removed, so the shell casings just drop into there.

A friend has a BSA .22 trainer, built off a No.4 Mk1, and it uses an 5-round clip which is covered by the hollow magazine box.

I like having a .22 with a 16-inch bayonet.

Wow. Many of our fathers and grand fathers were trained with those. I think some army cadets still use them too. Mine was a crappy cut down mongrel - most of the ones used for hunting had the extra wood removed. Nice to hear there's still some around and in use. You never know when you might need a bayonet on your .22
    Sorry for taking this off topic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enfield-no9-muzzle-sm.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	54055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enfield-no9-w-bayonet-sm.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	54056
    My first centerfire was a No. 5 Jungle Carbine, bought at age 12.

Here is the .22 Enfield trainer with the bayonet on, and a hasty pose of it on a footlocker of my father's from China. It is coach wood. The sling is 1944 as you can see.
    Last edited by Southern; 16-03-2015 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    My first centerfire was a No. 5 Jungle Carbine, bought at age 12.
    Wow..the No 5's were kickers.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Wow..the No 5's were kickers.
    And they still are. That little rubber pad on the butt sure wasn't soft.

I used to buy loose British Army surplus ammunition for 5 cents a round. The gun store which had it offered me a deal: $5.00 for 100 rounds on stripper clips, and in a leather bandolier. That was 10 hours pay for cutting firewood, but I came up with it as quick as I could. I loved the smell of cordite. My father, who had served some with the British in North Africa and Burma, got as big a thrill as I did when he came home and found the U.S. Mail had delivered my Jungle Carbine. We went to town (17 miles away) on Saturday, and he chipped in 25 cents so we could get 10 rounds.

Interesting stuff Southern! I have just got a No. 4 MkI* for stalking and targets. It was marked as a drill rifle and the 5 groove barrel was still un-shot and full of storage grease.

I am hoping to interest my father in rifles again as he shot a .303 in the RAF many years ago. The kids are already clamouring for a go and the 80+ year old father in law reckons he can show me how to shoot it, whilst ex-father in law has a shelf full of cups and medals for long range comps at Bisley with a .303. Guest day at the range is going to be a family affair for sure. Getting a T3 in .308 would not have been the same!