Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Smock?

Which Smock?

I was just about to put an order in for a Ridgeline elite smock but I checked the cumulative knowledge/opinion/experience of the SD and after reading a few threads i.e. it appears that it is not a good option for the UK. I saw a recent video of Thomas Haugland (THLR) wearing one which looked practical + he was lying in melting snow and seemed comfortable. I digress.

What is a good option for a waterproof smock with good chest pockets that can be used well in a layering system?

Deerhunter seem sold out everywhere in M size.

Would you use it for woodland or hill - if you are not lying down in water, paramo is light waterproof and comfortable - forget it for hill stalking as it can't handle compression. Swazi seems fairly bombproof for the hill

Nomad quad rider smock a1 , if you are willing / able to spend that much !

Mind you their after service is slow to say the very least.

Had mine for 8 years and just showing its age , I'm fairly hard on my kit and it gets used a couple of times every week at least and not just sat for a couple hours in a high seat ��

I have got the Deerhunter one, I live in it and I layer up under it.
    Try" All Weather Clothing". they appear to have all sizes.Wf1

I've read the other thread reference Ridgeline but I couldn't disagree more; I have the Ridgeline Pintail smock and trousers and the performance and quality has been first class. Granted you will always get a build up of moisture but that will happen with anything that has a waterproof liner, I wear a wicking top underneath when stalking or layer up if sitting in a high seat and it works well for me. Their Pintail gear is very quiet when on the move and washes up well after a day on the deer.

Don't buy the Ridgeline it's like a binliner, the rivers west field pro smock is well worth a look and if you don't mind camo, swillingtons are selling them for £80.

I love my Ridgeline Pintail more the longer I have it. It's a great smock. Very comfortable and really practical.

But yes, you do get bad condensation at times.

will you be moving or sitting still?

if moving Ridgeline is not for you
    wear a bin liner as above, will be cheaper and still replicate the wet feeling you will have when you take it off

I have the swanndri smock designed and sold b uhh bushwear , I live in it dos exactly what I want it to do and reasonably price I thought.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thank you for the input so far. To answer the questions: I stalk on foot more than sit in a highseat. All my stalking is lowland however after a fantasticly generous offer on SD I will be in Mull in October.

I expect this to be more arduous therefore it must have some degree of breathibility. I normally use a goretex dpm jacket if it is throwing it down but I don't like the impression it gives to joe public. Plus the pockets are crap and it's very noisy.