Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Base layers / wicking advice

Base layers / wicking advice

Hi folks
    Been reading the ongoing smock thread & didn't want to hijack it, but got me thinking

Which base layers / kit do you wear underneath to get best out of your smocks / jackets ?

I have a nomad smock , but just for general dog walking , quick lowland stalk I have ridgeline igloo top ... & at 41 quid I highly rate them ... Bought 2 ! One camo one plain olive
    But I sweat looking at a set of stairs .... Even when I was fit I sweated a lot .

How do you get best out of yer kit without being in a bin liner ?

Experiences please

I like you find I sweat a lot in anything that doesn't let a good breeze through. In order to stay comfortable though I have one Helly Hansen lifawear wicking top and a load of cheap Karrimor running tops. You still sweat but you don't get the damp clammy feeling or feel as cold when you stop moving and start to cool down.

I wear merino wool top and bottoms. Bought off GroupOn but there will be plenty of offers around once the ski season is over
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

For me it's multiple zipped layers so that I can control the heat by zipping/unzipping. A smock wouldn't work.

Mountain Warehouse do merino under layers at a good price.

I wear the Helly Hansen Lifa base layers under Jack Wolfskin shirts which have vertex type yokes and a vent across your shoulder blades.

When beating they are under a Border Barbour jacket and that is rarely zipped. Stalking / high seat in wet weather the same, dry weather swap Barbour for British Army Camouflage jacket.

In cold weather I am often not particularly toasty but crucially I am never cold or clammy which is the important bit.

What about coming summer evenings gents ... Do you wear wicking item under a jacket / smock ?

Norwegian army shirts.

Summer - t-shirt, winter - Helly Hanson or Under Armour.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Norwegian army shirts.
    Agree with above, also a big fan of SWAZI gear their Micro tops are excellent.....