.22 shotshell

Hedgehopper

anyone used .22 bird shot cartidges? I got some today to deal with a few rats in the stable where we store pheasant food. Managed to shoot 3 rats including this monster, who measures 45 cm nose to tail, in about 3 minutes this evening. Surprisingly good sport and more deadly (sub 5 yards) than I had expected.

Wondering if if they have any negative impact on my barrels?

Hedgehopper

image.jpg

I have heard about very negative effects on barrels, I think it related to the shot fusing to the inside of the barrel. I've got a feeling I read it on here too, would be worth a search.

pattern is shocking unless very close
5yds is about right!

cant see any negative effect on barrel though

Have had it measured surely goes Gold!!!!!

What a whopper do your pheasants grow big on the same food?

D

I have yet to pattern one on paper but was told that the rifling creates a doughnut pattern and so limits them to close range use. If you have the need and space you can find .22 smooth bores about for using these in.

I used to carry an old .22 revolver while fishing in the States as there were snakes around.
The barrel was in a poor state, I think the small shot fouls the grooves, maybe getting sliced by the lands.
I wouldn't use it in a gun that you are fond of and want good accuracy from.

I'd get a 9mm garden gun for it,probably more effective and cheap as chips.
Oddly though, there seem to be some on sale that are less than 24" barrels and as they are smoothbores.....

Last edited:
I'd get a 9mm garden gun for it,probably more effective and cheap as chips.
Oddly though, there seem to be some on sale that are less than 24" barrels and as they are smoothbores.....

I thought about a garden gun, however I have a slight problem in that both my gun safes are very full. It is now a one gun out for one gun in. Not sure I have any I want to get rid of at the moment. Mrs Hedgehopper might object to another safe as it would suggest that there were more guns coming into the house!

I have used these on feral pigeons in a dairy that had an asbestos sheet roof, very effective and just pock marked the roofing sheets. No problems with barrel just very open pattern, did not notice any doughnut in the pattern. Do not expect any useful range greater than 5 or 6 yards as shot is very small, less than pin head size.

I thought about a garden gun, however I have a slight problem in that both my gun safes are very full. It is now a one gun out for one gun in. Not sure I have any I want to get rid of at the moment. Mrs Hedgehopper might object to another safe as it would suggest that there were more guns coming into the house!

Could you not get a sleeve/adaptor so that you could use 9mm in a 12bore or similar?

Back