Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you have done?

What would you have done?

As I am new to stalking I just wondered what other members would have done in this situation.I was driving to my stalking ground at about 5.30am on Sunday when I noticed two Fallow in the field next to the road so naturally I stopped for a look (NO TRAFFIC AROUND THERE AT THAT TIME IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE)got out my binos to have a good look .Both fine looking bucks, then they moved totally unconcerned and I noticed one had a very bad limp on its left rear leg.I do not have permision to stalk on this ground but I know the farmer and I dont think he would mind me shooting something that had an injury(I have been taught not to let any animal suffer)I had another close look and could not see no open wound so thinking it had survived most of the winter and it was in good condition I LEFT IT hoping it would come onto my ground about 500yds away it didnt. So what should I HAVE DONE

Hi Chris,
    I would have done exactly what you have done mate. However I would go and see the farmer, explain what you saw and how you felt about it and ask him to allow you permission to shoot the deer on your next encounter. You may very well see the deer again, you may even get some more stalking land out of it!

Hi Chris
    You were right not to go getting it as this could have been classed as armed tresspass.

What i would have done is go straight round to the farm where you saw it and told them that you were concerned that there could have been an animal suffering and could you go and dispatch it.
    This would put you in a good position with the owner acknowlegding your concerns.

This farmer could have then said okay go and shoot it, which would have put you right in there to get the stalking or at least be thought about in the future.

That`s how you need to think in the future

Hi Chris
    yes mate like the others said you made the rite decision not to shoot it. like you said you know the farmer but things can go horribly wrong if you aint got permission to stalk deer on his land.
    as said i would go see the farmer & express your feelings about the sick beast & ask him if its ok to shoot it on his land if you see it again to stop it suffering , the chances are it could well just have a touch of arthritis in a joint Or even involved in a traffic collision. only you can judge for yourself after watching its behaviour for a while. You mite find its in perfect health next time you see it & it could well be an animal you wont want to shoot anyway. good luck with the farmer anyway mate & you never know it could lead to a bit more stalking ground

Spot on. Talk to the farmer, and I bet you end up getting the stalking. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

You did exactly the right thing, and as most of the others have said I would have gone and spoken to the farmer who owned the land the deer was on. He may have wanted you to go get it, he may have gone to get it himself, he may well have known all about it, you don't know. Plus it doe's not hurt to get to know the Farmer, and if you already are stalking the land next door, well, who knows you could get lucky.

Like steyr 243 said it could have been arthritis, a car collision incident, it could be months / years old, tough buggers are deer and recover from all sorts that you would think would do for them.

You did the right thing in the first place, NEVER put yourself at risk of a criminal prosecution even if you think something might be the right thing to do. As others have said, had you gone onto the ground, you could have been prosecuted for armed trespass, and after that you'll never shoot legally again.
    Now go and tell the landowner what you saw and try to convince them that putting the deer out of its suffering is the right thing to do.
    It's managing ok now, but come next year's rut it'll get beat up in all likelihood, plus if the lurchers are out it'll go then, better to shoot it now.

A year or so ago I noticed a white fallow up here in North Wales that had clearly been caught in a fence and had a bad limp. I might have considered it one to be taken but it was a white deer and the landowner liked those left if possible so I decided to leave it.

I saw the deer again a few weeks later and it seemed in perfect health so i was glad I'd done nothing about it.

There has been a doe around the area for a few years that is on three legs after being worried by farm dogs but it seems perfect happy with life.

Chris, I can only echo what the other guys on this thread have said. You did the right thing. And again if I where you I would approach the farmer who owns the land and tell him what you have seen and offer your services.

Lets face it he is either going to say Yes or No, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Good luck

Chris I take it you live in England?

If you lived in Scotland you could have shot the deer under section 25 of the deer act for Scotland 1996, providing you could prove the animal was suffering, and then informed the land owner of your actions after you shot the deer, and did not remove the animal from his land without his permission.

But I would want a good injury to do that, not just a bit of arthritis. You need evidence that you were acting to prevent animal suffering. So a RTA, tracking a animal that had been already shot, or attacked by dogs(poachers) ect. Some hard evidence that your action were correct. It is not worth the risk other wise.

The same act applies to dependant young too.

Best rgds