Solar eclipse and deer

Monkey Spanker

Just seen this elsewhere:
During the last major solar eclipse of 1999, many deer enthusiasts reported unusual behaviour in deer. Some deer were apparently tricked into believing that it was dusk, and came out of the woods to feed.
Looks like we might get another bite at the cherry tomorrow!:lol:
MS

Just seen this elsewhere:
During the last major solar eclipse of 1999, many deer enthusiasts reported unusual behaviour in deer. Some deer were apparently tricked into believing that it was dusk, and came out of the woods to feed.
Looks like we might get another bite at the cherry tomorrow!:lol:
MS

I remember reds making their way off the hill down in to the glen as they would do at dusk, just to turn around and head back up again as the light returned.

As the light returned we were also treated to the second dawn chorus of the day.

It's certainly going to be a sensible an hour for sunrise as we are likely to see in UK and as MS says a second bite at the cherry if you can get out.

I remember the eclipse in 1999 well. We were down in our allotment when it happened and it was quite eerie with all the birds stopping singing and then as it passed the "dawn chorus" starting again - Even the two dogs we had at the time were a "little puzzled" by what happened!! It's a little cloudy at the moment but the sky looks like it might well clear for 09:25 (The time we are expecting to experience todays eclipse) so I might well go out for a walk in the woods with a vodeo camera to see how the wildlife reacts this morning!

Edit: Here's a bit of rather shaky footage of how the eclipse looked from here.

Last edited:
Well, this is as good as it got:

Eclipse_zpsp85eruwy.jpg

Spookily, as the eclipse took place the postman rang the doorbell :-|

Bit of a 'non-event' here! It just looked a bit dark and overcast like it was going to rain. The birds did seem to stop singing at one point, but probably only because they thought it was going to rain too!
MS

seems a misconception with all the tv experts that we will be plunged into darkness
We all know that it is light well before dawn and after sunset.
So 10% sun light high in the sky is still pretty bright.
what you do feel is that 90% of the suns heat which gradually goes and returns.

One of my kids 'phoned me whilst it was going on and said the next one is in the 2020's and then nothing massive until 2090.
I pointed out that he would 87yrs old in 2090 and would hopefully make it and, if he did, he should remember the conversation he had with his Dad when he was 11 in 2015 and how we laughed about the 2090 eclipse. I told him it would make him reflect on his life and would, hopefully, be a nice memory.
Despite being a bright button and 11yrs old he said "..but you'll only be 117...I reckon we can watch it together...".

Brought a tear to my eye. Never underestimate the power of a child's imagination and belief!

(the upside is, of course, that despite being 42 I apparently now have 75 years of stalking left...:old: )

I can do one better than that, came across a buck and doe in a darkish Douglas Fir thicket just before eclipse (about 8.30 am here in Devon) as i was checking my watch regularly. The buck was trying to wind me and the doe was behind a tree with only her arse showing. Question i asked myself- do i get out and see eclipse or wait and see if doe comes out. No contest really, i waited 10 mins with dog at my feet and rifle up on sticks, after what seemed like an age the buck moved away and the doe slowly came out - bang!
Dog found doe and I ran out of thicket into blazing sun - **** missed eclipse!

That depends where you are in relation to the eclipse............the closer to the centre line of the eclipse path the darker it will get.

Back