Can you submit fac application before time?

levigsp

My tickets run until Dec and I am in the Highland region, Police Scotland.
However I would like to renew before that date for two reasons.
1/ It is my busiest time.
2/ I need to add another rifle to use abroad in November.
Can I do it?
or
Do I need to apply for variation now and then renew as normal.
Thanks

Mine run out in November, and as I was putting in a variation thought I'd just pay the renewal fee and do it all at the same time. I wasn't bothered that I'd effectively be loosing 8 months. I'd just rather have done it all together. However I was told I couldn't do that and it could only be renewed on the historical date.

Mine run out in November, and as I was putting in a variation thought I'd just pay the renewal fee and do it all at the same time. I wasn't bothered that I'd effectively be loosing 8 months. I'd just rather have done it all together. However I was told I couldn't do that and it could only be renewed on the historical date.
That is bang on, if you insist on doing it before the renewal date it is treated as a brand new application.
i know this as mine runs out when I am in Africa later this year, so I just made sure I got everything into them as soon as they requested it and with a covering letter
cheers B

I tried for a renewal and was told I needed do do a variation then when that was approved before printing they said why don't we renew instead! Then when I had my licence the start date was the expiry of the old one so the new rifles were not really covered until then. So Holts where I bought a rifle phoned the Firearms dept to check it was OK to sell me a rifle I got in their auction. What a palava.

My tickets run until Dec and I am in the Highland region, Police Scotland.
However I would like to renew before that date for two reasons.
1/ It is my busiest time.
2/ I need to add another rifle to use abroad in November.
Can I do it?
or
Do I need to apply for variation now and then renew as normal.
Thanks

Renewing 9 months in advance is beyond reasonable notice, as anything could change in the meantime.

It's now normal practice for FLD's to send out Renewal Reminders around 12 weeks before the FAC expiry date. You've got time to apply to add this other rifle in the course of the renewal, but if the turn-round time is protracted then do a Variation instead and renew for the increased number of firearms at year end.

Goathead must be talking about a Variation not a Renewal.

There's no voluntary option on either side to Renew rather than Vary unless the FAC is due to elapse soon. The Valid From Date and Expiry Date stays the same on a 'varied' FAC, but the VFD should change to the date that renewal was actually granted on a 'renewed' FAC. In both cases the VFD will be in the past so buying a firearm today shouldn't ever be a problem.

As stated it is unlikely that your licensing authority would allow you to renew your certificate nine months before expiry date. A certificate, by law, must be granted/renewed for a term of five years, in the unlikely event that they did allow you to renew at this time, your “renewed” certificate would still not be valid until your “current” certificate expired in December. Only options are to apply for variation on your current certificate or “surrender” said certificate(s) and submit a new application for grant.

My FC expires on the 3rd January and has been very close to some of my driven trips but has never been a problem.
I start the renewal process well before Christmas, as soon as I am notified by my firearms department, stick it all in the post and carry on.
My present FC is current right up until expiry no matter where I am and the new one always arrives to carry on from the expiry of the old one. I then just return the old one.
This might have caused a problem if I had been abroad on the relevent dates but so far I have been very close but not away so all has worked out fine.

With Police Scotland, they appear to be so far behind that I'm not sure 12 weeks is going to be sufficient for them to process a renewal. Throw into the mix the increase in fee, where they have specifically stated that it is not allowable to send your renewal in "early" to avoid paying the new fees. Not sure what would be classed as "normal", though I don't think sending it in a few weeks early could be classed as unreasonable. Mine expire in June so am thinking about sending mine in next week, just so there's a chance of getting them back on time,.

I would ask them not us!

but personally I don't see as adding a variation to a renewal one month early as out of the ordinary

Back