Insurance for working deer dog

tom

Morning all , I would like to know who people insure there working deer dogs with please ? I used to be with NFu but there was a mess up with the payment ,I was then told they are not doing stand alone insurance for dogs any more !
So I need to insure my deer dog for professional work , any ideas please ?
Cheers
tom

Are u sure u need ur dog insured for 'professional' work? Do u get paid for working ur dog on deer?

Check the fine print and each company will be different relating to working dogs but sometimes ur fine to work them if not being paid ie walk 1 stand 1 shoots its only when u become a paid beater/picker up it changes

Thanks for the reply , yes I get paid to manage deer , so if I have to use the dog ever it is for my work , this is why I need to be straight with insurance company , work are going to pay for the insurance but I have to find a decent one ,
cheers
tom

Have both my dogs insured through BASC. I think it's through petplan but can't be 100%. Made a couple of claims with them and not had any problem although the claims weren't work related. Both dogs (labs) are used for picking up on pheasant shoot. The BASC plan was the only one I could find that covered working dogs. You'd need to check with them if they covered professional work though.

We have recently changed underwriters for our dog insurance, with better rates but of course it still covers working dogs.

Just double checking but do you want just liability cover for your dog or liability and vet fees?

David

Thanks for the reply , yes I get paid to manage deer , so if I have to use the dog ever it is for my work , this is why I need to be straight with insurance company , work are going to pay for the insurance but I have to find a decent one ,
cheers
tom

NFU were fully prepared to insure my dog for work, they were pricier than BASC but the guy was very clear it was designed especially for working dogs, no restrictions on whether you get paid or how many days the dog works etc etc.
I went with the cheaper BASC option (which was petplan at the time) as my dog was never intended to work "professionally"

Thanks David , yes I need vet cover and liability , not very happy with NFu as they messed up my last insurance payment but said they can't take on any new stand alone insurance for working dogs !
Cheers
to.

Back