Thread: Velocity vs Barrel length

Velocity vs Barrel length

Morning All,

I just read this article and thought it might be of interest to some of you. 308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28) |

The interesting part for me was that at normal stalking ranges the difference in velocity between a 24in barrel and an 18in barrel will not be that significant especially if reloading to suit the rifle.

There are a few more articles like that in thi thread Barrel length and velocity.

Thanks this is indeed interesting stuff and food for thought.
    In 308 there is less of an issue with loss of MV than smaller calibres. It would be interesting to look at 243 and compare energy levels as some 20" May struggle to be legal but that is a whole different discussion.

calibre/chambering has a lot to do with it. go sub 26" in a 7mm Rem mag for example and it's pretty much a matter of you getting recoil for no reason along with getting blinded by muzzle blast compared to equally efficient and lesser kicking chamberings in the same calibre.

Heres a 6.5 x 47 14" barrel for stalking most ME is right on the limit But legal and as im constantly told Stalking is not a long range thing nore is it a particularly small target area for the range

65x47 Lapua Shorty - MAE Moderators UK