opinion on howa 22-250 varmint rifle

1990sean

Thinking of buying a new howa 22-250 varmint rifle and looking for opinions from owners or people who are familiar with the howa range.

Thanks sean

I have had a .223 &now have a. 243 and they are great. I don't see the point of spending loads if it's just for fox/stalking. Yes I would like a sake or tikka but the howa is plenty good enough.

Mine performs just as well as my mates Tikka's but without the price tag. The hogue stock is a bit flexy and is probably worth upgrading but other than that they are a good solid bit of kit with no plastic bits.

Mate, I have the Howa stainless in .223 with the Blackhawk Thumbhole stock. Absolutely BRILLIANT rifle. Love shooting it and try to get it out whenever I can. I highly recommend forking out an extra hundred quid or so to get the best stock you can. The rest of it is great. I would have the same rifle in all my different calibres if I was starting again.

J

Thanks again for replies and rural londoner that looks wicked got to get that stock! Whats 5he price tag for new rifle with that stock sny idea? Thanks

Hi Sean, I have a howa .243 sporter was 22" now 18"absolute tack driver. A howa 7mm rem mag 24" sporter and just ordered a howa .204 24" heavy barrel all in hogue stocks although the .204 will get treated to a heavy tactical stock at some point. Bedded of course. So to answer your question., they're great rifles regardless of cost.

Hello mate,

ivythorn sporting are the guys to contact. This is the link: http://howa-rifles.co.uk/80-stocks

because you buy the action separate from the stock, it works out pretty good value. Maybe an extra £150/£200 quid on the standard stock. Well worth it in my opinion.

suggest the stainless short action and then either a Blackhawk or Bell and Carlson stock.

the Blackhawk stocks have a recoil reducing system which isn't much needed on a .223 but does help it become feather-light to shoot.

J

Cheers Sean, I've met Steve at ivythorn when I bought my .375 H&H magnum off him, not so feather light to shoot! I will contact him amongst others when the time comes, he's a top fella and his knowledge seems second to none. For me, heavier the better as it's only going to get used off the roof of the Landy (out the panzer hatch!) or set up somewhere for long range bunny and fox. I'm even toying with the idea of having a mate mill a stock out of aluminium, A la ACIS, but £900 cheaper! How hard can it be?!!!!

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 7 mm Rem. Mag. It is a Howa under Weatherby name. It is accurate (1" group at 200 meters). In my view the only disadvantage is the fixed magazine. I would have preferred a detachable one, simplifying unloading while reaching the car in a cold day with frozen fingers.
However, the detachable magazine is available in certain calibers.

Howa is a good rifle and will perform well.
.22-250 is a great cartridge but definatly not for every day range use.
it is fast and flat will strech out to middle distance about 500m and group sub MOA

I have a .243 in heavy stainless varmit and its very accurate. The trigger has been feetled and the stock stiffened and bedded. The new models have an excellent two stage trigger and in the GRS stock look the buisness, however I just dont like the GRS. Just seen a .223 Howa in a Boyds Thumbhole stock and that looks great.

Can't fault mine which I purchased second hand, great value for money.

D

Back