Where did it go……And how far……?

Tim.243

Where did it go……And how far……?

My use of trigonometry only comes in to play these days when laying out a large fabrication job on the floor ( 3-4-5) to get a right angle.

I shoot from my quad sticks 90% of the time for foxes also a few Muntjac and always wondered what angle the round was travelling at?
My zero plate is around 14 inches high ( around the height of a fox side on)

As I zero at 200 yards this gives a few known factors for working out the angle,
Yes there is bullet drop but just for the purposes of the maths and to avoid any bun fights I worked it out at 6 degrees’

Height of my rifle on the sticks is 56” and the target/fox is 14” with the distance of 200 yards, also my sticks would be at 90 deg.

So 56-14 = 42
Then divide 42 by 200 yards (7200 inches) = 0.0058 (6deg)

My question is…How far would the round travel past the 14 inch target at the same angle.

For the purpose of the question I was not including bullet drop as it would involve a lot of different data.

Just a bit of fun so no falling out please…..

Tim.243

So the question is how far is 6degrees drop from 14inches? 133 inches.

Yes to the 6 deg and 14 inches, to the 11 yards I don't know but hope the rest of the answers come up the same, but it seems about right.
Miss a Red or Fallow and then the angle and distance is a lot different.
Thanks for the reply

Tim.243

just use VMax!
too much brain ache

all the mental maths you like wont account for a skimmer off a rib that flicks up instead of down

Try some tracer rounds to see... from then on you make sure you have plenty of back stop before even thinking of taking the shot

Snip...

Height of my rifle on the sticks is 56” and the target/fox is 14” with the distance of 200 yards, also my sticks would be at 90 deg.

So 56-14 = 42
Then divide 42 by 200 yards (7200 inches) = 0.0058 (6deg)

My question is…How far would the round travel past the 14 inch target at the same angle.

Tim.243

Intriguing calculations going on here...the 6˚ is way off according to my schoolboy recollection of trigonometry. Tanks Oppose Artillery, Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent which gets you to the 0.0058 but that is the tangent of the angle, the included angle is a third of a degree. 0.3342215…just saying.

badbob arrived at the same answer as I did, 2400 inches, 200 feet or 66.6 yards. your choice :)

I must admit I would not bother with calculating the angle myself, just go with the ratios of the triangles…7200:42 = 2400:14 = 9600:56

I guess from the wording of his post badbob was smart enough to notice the relationship of the heights and do it in his head...56 and 42 both being divisible by 14…I wasn't :(

Alan

Intriguing calculations going on here...the 6˚ is way off according to my schoolboy recollection of trigonometry. Tanks Oppose Artillery, Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent which gets you to the 0.0058 but that is the tangent of the angle, the included angle is a third of a degree. 0.3342215…just saying.

badbob arrived at the same answer as I did, 2400 inches, 200 feet or 66.6 yards. your choice :)

I must admit I would not bother with calculating the angle myself, just go with the ratios of the triangles…7200:42 = 2400:14 = 9600:56

I guess from the wording of his post badbob was smart enough to notice the relationship of the heights and do it in his head...56 and 42 both being divisible by 14…I wasn't :(

Alan

Like I said it was just for fun, the numbers just happen to be as they are, I cant help the height of the sticks or the fox....
A few varied answers including advice on (back stops but no reply) to the angle I was looking for.....

What ever the angle is, shooting from my sticks gives a good field of view before the shot is taken which I never found using my bi-pod.

Tim.243

Like I said it was just for fun, the numbers just happen to be as they are, I cant help the height of the sticks or the fox....
A few varied answers including advice on (back stops but no reply) to the angle I was looking for.....

What ever the angle is, shooting from my sticks gives a good field of view before the shot is taken which I never found using my bi-pod.

Tim.243

Quite agree, the back stop is all and the height given by sticks give you many more opportunities on flat ground.

My musings were purely on the theory, bit of fun for my memory and grey cells after learning it 50 odd years ago! I could still hear my maths teacher's distinctive voice intoning "Tanks Oppose Artillery"!

Someone had a rule thumb for the issue when in the field...the height of the animal again below the skyline…which is instant to assess.

Alan

just remember a minute of angle subtends a tad over an inch at 100 yards,
2.1" at 200 yards,
and 60 minutes is one degree.

shooting from sticks or a high seat is always safer than prone over flat ground.
prone is more accurate though.

Useful to think of it this way: your average shot by your average shooter on to a deer strikes the target about half your height above the ground. therefore, on perfectly flat ground your bullet hits the deck about the same distance behind the target as you were away from it. There are obvious exceptions; deflections, sloping ground, higher or lower target etc etc.

Surety of backstop is something that in my experience a frighteningly small quantity of people think about, especially in woodland cover.

Well I found a link to here....
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...VgsBljN4tau7o-90Q&sig2=u-P3EAVFAZSeXvnbknScbA

Which confirmed I was out on my first calc, however when I pressed the tan button the correct figure came out...
So with angle worked out the theoretical distance is 66 yards, which was previously quoted in earlier answers..

Notwithstanding the need for a safe back stop is paramount, however the out come is I learnt a bit more and found a handy link for working all sorts of stuff lol

Tim.243

Well I found a link to here....
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...VgsBljN4tau7o-90Q&sig2=u-P3EAVFAZSeXvnbknScbA

Which confirmed I was out on my first calc, however when I pressed the tan button the correct figure came out...
So with angle worked out the theoretical distance is 66 yards, which was previously quoted in earlier answers..

Notwithstanding the need for a safe back stop is paramount, however the out come is I learnt a bit more and found a handy link for working all sorts of stuff lol

Tim.243

So you did not believe me and my 50 year old schoolboy memories then, you had to check elsewhere? I am mortified :)

Notwithstanding your interesting journey to internet enlightenment...The easiest way to figure this sort of problem is not with tangents and sines though. The ratio of similar triangles makes it simple. Twice the height will make it twice the length…or in this case a third again as much height gives you third again as much length. Easiest for my brain anyway...

Alan

Back