Alternative to a Roe sack?

That looks like a winner from my perspective, as I've yet to find a fully satisfactory way of carrying deer from the field without covering myself in blood (which I don't want to do as I tend to then go home on the train).

By the way, does anyone want a Harkila Fenja roe sack? I just don't use mine.

Looks interesting and my second favourite price, anyone tried one?

Says it is "watertight and bloodtight, can be cleaned with hose", so could also be useful for those who don't want to fit a tray in the back of the family car.

View attachment 54510

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/100l-large-game-pouch-id_8282738.html

I thought I could do better with the google button and did but not on price!
http://jagdhund.com/en/equipment/staufen/

I do like a little bit of Loden.
K

Last edited:
Looks good, what was your first favourite price ?

The one that requires no financial intervention on my part! ;)

BTW. One thing that has struck me about this bag is that the single carrying strap might be a bit hard on the shoulder, so an investment in one of those slip over padded jobbies to go with it might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I never get covered in blood - just give my ghillie a call and he takes care of everything whilst I return for hot bath and a dram.:)

Would you mind please filling with water and reporting back?

I don't use the London Tube (at least when stalking ;)) but I'll try the water test and let you know.

Here are some photos of the bag, with a 10 pence piece for scale:

IMG_4568_zpsqgyijhzg.jpg

IMG_4569_zpsuut1bijl.jpg

IMG_4570_zpsxqqyzqnr.jpg

There's even a handy-dandy RFID tag, should you want to manage your inventory of roe sacks :D

IMG_4571_zpsaqtydven.jpg

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Right, quick water test now completed.

I filled the roe sack with water to a depth of approx 3 inches, when the sack was held upright on end:

IMG_4576_zpsfj268lfp.jpg

IMG_4577_zpshydiuvzx.jpg

There was probably a good couple of litres of water in the bag.

When carrying the sack as designed, either using the grab handles or shoulder strap, there was no discernible leakage. When standing the sack on end so that the water was pressing against the zip, there was a slow but steady flow of drips of water, approximately one every one to two seconds:

IMG_4575_zpsidvuddzy.jpg

Therefore my highly unscientific analysis concludes that, presuming you have bled your deer out so that there is not going to be a large volume of blood sloshing around the bag, you should be fine carrying a deer carcass in this bag on the London Tube.

Last edited:
Back