unproofed rifle

IanLuc

Hi all some time ago I had my .222 screw cut privately by a local guy I never worried about getting it reproofed, I am now thinking of selling it but wondering if I can as it was not reproofed.

there's no requirement for proofing a threaded barrel for moderator at all, fact. For some peculiar reason some shops insist on it, but, the proofhouse does not.

The proof of proof :)???:) on threading is the proof mark stamped on the barrel at the threading, usually at the six o'clock position.

I believe that most reputable gunsmiths require re-proofing as part of their public liability insurance.

It's all a bit grey really but that's British law for you?!?!

I have four rifles, all screw cut, two by the manufacturer and two by my friend.
None have proof marks anywhere near the threading and nothing identifies which threading is done by whom.
Work that one out :confused:

exaxtly!

have numerous 2nd hand rifles not factory cut god knows by whom
not one proofed

As far as I can see smiths get things proofed to cover them in the event of an issue later on
not because they are required to

I have four rifles, all screw cut, two by the manufacturer and two by my friend.
None have proof marks anywhere near the threading and nothing identifies which threading is done by whom.
Work that one out :confused:

I have two factory threaded no proof marks

Hi all some time ago I had my .222 screw cut privately by a local guy I never worried about getting it reproofed, I am now thinking of selling it but wondering if I can as it was not reproofed.

what are you selling, or contemplating on ?

When they first allowed moderators for centerfire rifles under Gwent Police, the local gun shop gave me a notice from the proof house and told me that the rifle would have to go off for proofing after being screw cut and the cost was just as much as the moderator. I contacted the proof house in London and they informed me that they had just been to court with someone for the same reason but the case was thrown out as the cut did not weaken the barrel in any way requiring a new proof.
Upshot was they would not be chasing anyone else having been beaten already.

Strangely he went on to say that now all the handguns had gone they were looking to make money another way and that was why they sent letters out to all gunshops/smiths that all rifles being screw cut for moderators must go to the proof house and be re-proofed.

Its always worth checking and don't accept what you are told is gospel.

When they first allowed moderators for centerfire rifles under Gwent Police, the local gun shop gave me a notice from the proof house and told me that the rifle would have to go off for proofing after being screw cut and the cost was just as much as the moderator. I contacted the proof house in London and they informed me that they had just been to court with someone for the same reason but the case was thrown out as the cut did not weaken the barrel in any way requiring a new proof.
Upshot was they would not be chasing anyone else having been beaten already.

Its always worth checking and don't accept what you are told is gospel.

So if this is correct (And I have no reason to desbelieve it even though I've not seen anything "in black and white" about it) then "being led to believe" that you must get your gun re-proffed if you get the barrel screw cut and then want to resell it is just another "money making exercise" to help someone to line their pockets!

So if this is correct (And I have no reason to desbelieve it even though I've not seen anything "in black and white" about it) then "being led to believe" that you must get your gun re-proffed if you get the barrel screw cut and then want to resell it is just another "money making exercise" to help someone to line their pockets!

Proofing of guns is just a money making exercise anyway, there is no reason for it.

Nice Link and read there ELMER FUDD, anyway possible to ease that little extra shekel out of yer pockets, i have been to loads of RFDs over the past few years and the amount of Bull being spoken about how they are running at a loss, not making enough to keep the place open etc etc, i was in a shop 2 years ago and heard this very comment whilst he asked me if i needed to purchase anything else "the way things are going they will be lucky to last another 6 months" well guess what i was in the same shop recently and he more or less said the exact same thing as he charged me and extra 7 quid on the very same cartridges and i mentioned that he had said the exact same thing 2 years ago and he said its something to talk about mate, i mentioned about the price and he dropped it by a fiver. Nice one.....I wonder if he will remember me the next time i visit. It only goes to show, that if enough people know The Truth then they will tell the cheeky blighters to do one.

Back