weasels

chill123

Whilst stalking this year I have seen Weasels in Norfolk , Sussex and this morning walking my dogs in a wood in the Midlands . I have never seen Weasels in any of theses locations before .
Has anyone else noticed an increase ?

Chill

I have seen a lot of small rodents this last autumn/ winter, mainly voles but a fair few wood mice too. Maybe some relation as they are the weasels main prey? Lots of owls and kestrels in evidence so I guess it could be a bumper year for them as well.

Had some kits raised in the cellar, first time we've know they were there. Lovely little things.

Seems to be an increase in all mustelids this year. Seeing plenty of stoats even though very few rabbits, lots of otters about too. A friend of mine called me to say he had an otter in a snare could I help, we had a very scary half an hour but managed to catch it and cut the wire. It was on a very small stream,obviously following spawning frogs but got her in a cage and released her on a big river. great to see a chain of bubbles again. Will have to sew up the holes in my trouser legs soon.

I have seen a lot of small rodents this last autumn/ winter, mainly voles but a fair few wood mice too. Maybe some relation as they are the weasels main prey? Lots of owls and kestrels in evidence so I guess it could be a bumper year for them as well.
That is just the way nature intended it to be. The barn owl population crashed around here a few years ago and it was fairly noticeable that that the vole population was very poor at the same time. Last year the vole population exploded here and it was one of the most successful breeding seasons for the barns for years. Looking at that is it any wonder that we now have so many buzzards about these days, to them we just keep filling the bird feeders only not with peanuts but pheasants.

That is just the way nature intended it to be. The barn owl population crashed around here a few years ago and it was fairly noticeable that that the vole population was very poor at the same time. Last year the vole population exploded here and it was one of the most successful breeding seasons for the barns for years. Looking at that is it any wonder that we now have so many buzzards about these days, to them we just keep filling the bird feeders only not with peanuts but pheasants.

We also had a terrific breeding season for Barnies last year.I watched one female bring in 28 voles in an hour and a half. Personally I think the increase in buzzard numbers to areas where they have never been seen reeks of human assistance. Unfortunately many young barn owls became easy meat for the buzzards along with a brood or two of wild English. We reckon up to 75% of young Barnies succumbed to buzzard attacks and despite seeing it happen on one occasion I couldn't get there quick enough to save the owlet.

I saw my first weasel for a while last week, it ran across the road in front of the car, I just love the way they look like they're on wheels as you can't see the legs going.

Back