The Great 9.3mm Family

PM, you are welcome!

RWS loads are not known for being particularly cool so that was a fairly punchy. Norma make a 325gr Oryx which looks interesting though...

Don't get your DNA on that rifle PM! I have right of first refusal!~Muir

I am sorry to have to repeat myself but I have first dibs on that FN. Shot it soon after he got it and staked a claim.

I have to agree with PM it is a peach to shoot. You should try it on the running boar range. We managed to get it quite warm.

David.

I am sorry to have to repeat myself but I have first dibs on that FN. Shot it soon after he got it and staked a claim.

I have to agree with PM it is a peach to shoot. You should try it on the running boar range. We managed to get it quite warm.

David.

Damn. I was hoping you'd forgotten. :(~Muir

Don't get your DNA on that rifle PM! I have right of first refusal!~Muir

David.

Damn. I was hoping you'd forgotten. :(~Muir

Hello, I'm still here..? :-|

(You can divvy up my rifles after I'm gone... but not before!)

PM, Kalahari, you will get clipped round the ear. Muir, I'll send Alberta Boy down to do something equally unpleasant to you...

That is impressive shooting scrumbag with irons.

Cheers bud, doesn't always work that well.

Got to admit, not the most fun to shoot off a bench, first 3 went in fine, drifted front a little. 4th shot "oooh, that's good", 5th: "yep, done, and I don't have a flinch yet, time to quit whilst ahead"

PS: The Lookie Lou's were impressed with the old Husky. We got talking and decided that we needed to have a rifle shoot sometime that specified iron sighted sporting rifles made before 1950. Seems there are a lot of Krags, Mausers, and Springfields languishing in dusty closets...

I can't come back here and keep looking at these groups from old rifles.. i I need to shoot the ones I have.

About 25 miles from my house, a range holds monthly matches with vintages war horses: .303 Enfields, 98 Mausers, Turk Mausers, Yugos, and 1903 and 1903A3 Springfields, at 200 yards. Three position slow and timed fire, 60 rounds. DCM counts it towards being able to purchase surplus ammo and rifles. Great fun.

Cheers bud, doesn't always work that well.

Got to admit, not the most fun to shoot off a bench, first 3 went in fine, drifted front a little. 4th shot "oooh, that's good", 5th: "yep, done, and I don't have a flinch yet, time to quit whilst ahead"

If I have to let off 20 crackers off the bench then I'll be using the PASTI pad. At least you won't have to worry about a 3rd eyebrow with irons ! The ole 9.3 has a bit of boot but still manageable.

Hello, I'm still here..? :-|

(You can divvy up my rifles after I'm gone... but not before!)

PM, Kalahari, you will get clipped round the ear. Muir, I'll send Alberta Boy down to do something equally unpleasant to you...

You leave my ears alone. I am a delicate little flower.

David.

How many shots did you put through it yesterday? I have to say that my shoulder tells me that my initial statement that this was a rifle for shooting standing up and not from a bench was absolutely correct. Although that said, I shot it after putting 24 rounds through the drilling so the shoulder may have been pre-tenderised.

How many shots did you put through it yesterday? I have to say that my shoulder tells me that my initial statement that this was a rifle for shooting standing up and not from a bench was absolutely correct. Although that said, I shot it after putting 24 rounds through the drilling so the shoulder may have been pre-tenderised.

Oh 10 or so

John "Pondoro''Taylor , 1948 'African Rifles & Cartridges' in part page 139. " Having said that it's ( 9.3 Mauser ) the most popular & most widely used medium bore in Africa, there isn't a great deal more that one can say about it- that just about covers everything. But it brings up a point concerning various other calibres that deserves noticing, and that is in connection with high velocities and flat trajectories, and the average range at which African game is shot.
Some gunsmiths and arm chair theorists would like to insist that the general run of the original medium bores has been rendered obsolete by there more modern counterparts, and that nowadays a high speed bullet and a flat trajectory are essential. Well, in answer to that one has only to point to the 9.3 mm and refer to its wide popularity."

Page 140 , in part ( and I love this ) " that there is nothing to be gained by boosting velocities for the purpose of flattening trajectories and thereby increasing chamber pressures."

'' I did a fair amount of shooting with it, and gave it up simply because I don't care for magazine rifles but if somebody was to present me with a Westley Richards double built to handle it, I should willingly use it for the remainder of my life."

regards
Mike.

Back