Thread: Dura-coat/ Cera-coat paint finish

Dura-coat/ Cera-coat paint finish

Hi all,

Just a quick question is the above finish just used as a colour metal finish or does it protect the metal work as i had a rifle finished with this stuff and on the bolt handle there is rust coming on it and i just wondered what the products are for protection or to look pretty .

regards chris

Hi Chris

Pretty sure Cera-coating is not only a cosmetic finish but also protective and hard wearing. I think there are 2 sorts - air dried and oven cured?

I had James (aka JagerSA) coat a 10/22 barrel last year - ok I dont use the 'tool' hard to test the coating for durability but my understanding from James.

same as above , Dave at Valkyrie rifles has done two of my sako's over the last 12 months ,and I very impressed

i have no problem at all with the overall finish i just wondered about the rusting ????

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    i have no problem at all with the overall finish i just wondered about the rusting ????
    Absolutely there should be no rust after Cerakoting. It is a complete protective finish. Has it been knocked/chipped/scratched at all?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall

There should be no rust at all. I'd call the guy who did it and have a word. How long ago did you have it done?

If it was a scenario related to a problem with a car, normally you would go back to the garage which you got it from and try to have it looked at. There a many good rifle smiths on here which coat as well as Smith work, and they all deserve the chance to defend their work.
    Personally I would give the painter/smith a simple quick call and hopefully you get it resolved painlessly.