Character attacks

MARCBO

I find it very interesting how quickly posters on this forum resort to character attack because they cannot defend their position on an issue or topic. The problem is often they have nothing but "I think, I feel, or I believe" to justify their position, no formal training and a few years experience other as a hobby shooter/hunter. I may argue a point counter to my personal opinion but only to spark discussion, interesting though is how many posters allow their emotions to quickly get out of hand when they cannot defend their position other than to try to viciously demean others. Just to go on record, I do know what I speak of from either training (US Special Forces and a 2-year resident university gunsmithing program), experience (big and small game in the US and Europe since 1970 and 27 years in Special Forces and of course experience building and repairing guns), or common sense ethics, I do not repeat rumors or make up nonsense and try to pass it on as fact. :lol:

SS

I did not start this to be about me but about the forum as a whole. Don't worry though, if it is made to be about me I have a thick skin!

Fact: I have DSC1
Fact: I sold my .243 for a 6.5x55mm
Fact: I have Tadpole Swimming Certificate for managing a width in PJs without drowning
Fact: I'm not entirely sure of the point of this thread, but if it gets half the interest of the last one that MARCBO/SS started, it's going to go downhill quicker than a bus full of fat kids!

Joking aside, you have a valid point. What amazes me sometimes is that no other forum I belong to seems to descend so quickly into ridicule and vitriol. Things seem to be taken incredibly personally, for no apparent reason.

I did not start this to be about me but about the forum as a whole. Don't worry though, if it is made to be about me I have a thick skin!
Dont worry you are a character ,as is everyone else,by the way your skin its not 243mm thick is it?,just wondering!:thumb::D

Most posters in this or other forums of whatever nature are polite and seek to obtain or impart information on the subject in question. However there are some that seek to find fault with other members' posts and justify thereby themselves, often quoting their own experience and qualifications in a strange game of Top Trumps.

It is occasionally amusing, mostly tiresome and those that indulge in such behaviour usually would not dare to say what they write if it was in person.

In all seriousness I do agree that things can get personal in a hurry on here. I think it's partially passion for the sport and partially opinionated twits.

That said I still think my cycling proficiency badge trumps your US Licence ;)

Do you still have to pay a tax or something like that for each TV you own in the UK?

Every household needs one, unless you can prove that you don't watch tv, even on the web... It's the archaic way that the BBC is funded - from the public purse - yet it remains impartially left wing and anti-shooting. Welcome to the madhouse!

Do you still have to pay a tax or something like that for each TV you own in the UK?

Yes, there's a license fee per household if you watch television as it's being broadcast. It's effectively a tax, and in this day and age when the BBC is a global business it's anachronistic.

I don't have a TV license, but then I don't have a TV either.

Every household needs one, unless you can prove that you don't watch tv, even on the web...

Or rather, they have to prove that you do watch it. They spent some years sending us letters demanding that we get a license. We told them we didn't have a TV or watch live television. They have to prove otherwise.

Back