If you go down to the woods today!

cjs66

So you're off to the woods for a mooch about. You've only Roe on your patch and you're not going to be shooting anywhere near long range. 100 yards for a long shot,

and more than likely around the 50-80 yard mark. What do you reach for? I'm talking caliber but, please lets hear the full set up…. cjs

243 Stutzen with an 8X56 S&B nestled within Conetrol rings & mounts.

Supported c/o a single stick and while dressed in loden.

K

Last edited:
243 Stutzen with an 8X56 S&B nestled within Conetrol ring & mounts.

Very nice sir, classic. But why not 308? I'm not having a go at your choice of caliber, far from it. Just questioning it.

Regards, cjs

Like this thread already.

45-70 in a ruger no1 with a premium 350gr bullet.

Either that or a 15" moderated 308 if that's more your thing.

At the moment it's a Custom Remmy 700 in 6.5*47 Lapua with 120 Nosler BT's and a Nightforce 3.5-15*50. Have used it for everything for the past few years.

However, in 2 weeks time it's going to be a Howa 1500 in .308 chopped to 16 inches firing a 165 grain Sierra SBT and topped with a Bushnell Elite 6500 1-6.5*24 Ill. A proper little stumpy.

Unmoderated :cool: Ruger No1 in .257 Roberts, Conetrol mounts and a Zeiss 3-9x40
Leica 7x42 bins and a knife made by FYGT.

Did exactly this from 6a.m. to mid-day (inevitably I only saw does..).

Wood & blue Sako 75 in .243 with a Swarovski 1.7-10x42 on top and trying sako 100g's today, all carried with a Brownells latigo sling. No bipod. I've replaced the hugely heavy moderator with a superbly light piece of insulating tape. I wasn't really expecting to shoot today so I wore a light pair of ear defenders lifted just above my ears which could be gently pushed into place with just one hand. It's a long walk so a roe-sack & Knobloch sticks as they can be packed away. Only wool or loden for comfort & quietness (breeks & smock). Being blessed with a full head of hair I find any hat impossibly hot so I don't wear them but I do wear a mesh scarf that I can lift to cover half of my face should it be required. My GSP wore a rather racy hi-vis elasticated orange collar.

It was very still today and as it's been fairly dry recently I was acutely aware of how noisy it was underfoot; does anyone here stalk in bare feet, wear moccasins or wrap animal skins round their feet? Or perhaps there are boots on the market already for this purpose that I don't know about.

Last edited:
Another Sako 75 in .243!

Though if I'm really sure it'll only be roe, then same in .222.

Neither moderated. Awful bloody things.

Oddly - and probably contrary to the emerging preference on this thread, I FAR prefer longer barrels in my rifles.

Jim Corbett wore something very similar to plimsolls. The areas he hunted were slightly fairer than East Lothian mind ;)

Mungo, I am inclined to agree with you regards barrel length and moderators but woodland stalking increasingly equals carbine.
I've never stalked woodland but if I were to I'd just take me 32" barreled high wall since its me only deer legal rifle. I have a couple carbines but just much prefer a rifle with a loooong tube :D

Last edited:
Ruger Stutzen in 243, open sights, no moderator, electronic ear muffs, short sticks, DMC loaded rounds

Last edited:
Back