Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone experiance Swarovski 8x32 EL's

Anyone experiance Swarovski 8x32 EL's

Hi all,

I'm looking to treat myself to the investment of a lifetime... so considering my options carefully.

Four contenders in the mix:

Swaro 8x32 EL
    Swaro 8.5x42 EL
    Swaro 8x42 EL Range
    Leica 8x42 Ultravid HD Plus

I had a look at all four today and really liked the clarity of the Leica's but also the handiness of the 8x32 EL's. My concern though is that the 32mm Objective is not going to provide the same clarity at dawn and dusk that us deerstalkers look for.

Does anyone have any real world experience with the 32's they can share?

Thanks in advance,

I use 8x32 EL's. Love them. The quality of the optics make up for the slightly smaller objective. Obviously the 8.5x42's from the same maker have the same quality so, technically, will be better in low light but its a bit academic. If you really want to gain in low light go down to a seven power.

Are you looking to buy new or used? I would certainly look at used ones in Birding shops like Cley Spy or In Focus. You would save a hell of a lot of money.

i have a pair of EL 8 x 42's glad to own them as you notice why they are that price well before dawn and after last knockings am now looking to sell them to upgrade to same but rf bino's

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I have the EL 8.5x42's and, after many years, still love them to bits.

That said, I see Gregor has several pairs of s/h 8x32's:
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I’m no expert on this subject but as I have been trying to settle on a pair of bins having bought and sold a few pair over the last couple of years I’ve learnt a little bit.

First I bought a set of 10x42 Swarovski SLCs.
    Very nice bins but I found the focal length to be too short. Constantly adjusting the focus I found irritating. Slightly heavy on the neck when worn all day.

Second was a set of 7x42 Swarovski SLCs.
    Much much better focal length. Again slightly heavy when worn all day. Still have them.

Thirdly was a set of 8x32 ELs
    Fantastic set that I really enjoyed owning, wish I’d kept them. Would be the Swarovski model that I’d prefure.

Now I’ve just bought a set of Leica 8x32 Ultravids.
    Lovin these as well. Really light and (to my eye) equal in clarity to the Swarovskis. I’ll be keeping these.

What I have learnt is not to listen to all the sales stuff, as I really can’t see the differance at last light between 32mm objective and 42mm. So I read into it. Now it’s irrelivant what the objective size is as it’s all about the size of the exit pupil. Most 32s are about 3.9 to 4mm. Most middle aged men (as am I) pupils will not dilate more than 4mm so getting the 42mm bins will as Swarovski say let through more light, but if your pupil can’t dilate more than 4mm so as to let the light hit the retina then you’re not going to, pardon the punn, see the differance. Maybe if you’re in your 20s then you maywell see the differance but as we all get older our pupils loose the capacity to dilate.

So for what it’s worth, I’d get either a set of 8x32 ELs or a set of 8x32 Ultravids.

Hope that helps, but I know you’ll enjoy what ever you dicide on as all the top bin are fanfastic bits of engineering.

Zeiss Victory 10x40 all day long everything is right including the weight. I also have a pair of Swaro 8.5x42 EL's good glass but the weight is against them for me. Wf1

I hava a pair of the Swarovski EL32 SV
    They are very light to Cary. Can't see the point of carrying 1kg round my neck for 3 or 4 hours.
    Also, with regard to RF bins, if you don't know how far away it is, should you be shooting at it ??
    Last edited by Grant.N; 09-04-2015 at 14:18.

Swarovski every time. Customer service miles better than Leica. Used to do a bit of birding, so have owned or have mates who've owned all makes and magnification. For 20 years used 10x42 SLC's,(outstanding) sent them back twice for minor issues,after heavy usage,both times came back completely overhauled,looking like new. Now I have 8x32 EL Swarovision and they are superb and so light compared to the 1kg that was the SLC's. They'll do everything you'll ever need them to and without even knowing they're around your neck. Don't even consider anything else. Every single one of my birding mates uses 8x32 EL's and they're a very exacting bunch.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice, greatly appreciated.

I'm down to 3 contenders:
    1.) Swarovski EL 8x42
    2.) Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x42
    3.) Zeiss Victory SF 8x42

I think for my eyes the Leica HD Plus have the clearest image, they are also the smallest and lightest. The Swarovski's I feel a great loyalty to, they have top Customer Service, edge to edge clarity and are lovely to hold if you have big hands like me.
    I have not managed to hold the Zeiss yet, but they seem to have rave reviews from the birding community... who are looking for a lot of the same things as us when purchasing a pair of Binos.

The only way to make a definitive decision would be to sit in a highseat at dawn and dusk with all three and compare and contrast....

I'm with glyn , the 8x32 el's are to my mind the best all round you can get , your eyes are unlikely to be able to use the extra you may get from the bigger ones and in my opinion it's easier to use a smaller lighter set one handed etc when stalking , I even use mine on the hill where the distances glassed are predominantly longer than woodland stalking.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !