Training methods for shooting driven boar ?

Roncon1

As the title says, im after some driven boar shooting this winter and was looking at some advice on how best to prepare as this would be the first time I would have ever raised a rifle at a moving target and figured that some of ye guys would have been through the same thing and could best advise ?

As the title says, im after some driven boar shooting this winter and was looking at some advice on how best to prepare as this would be the first time I would have ever raised a rifle at a moving target and figured that some of ye guys would have been through the same thing and could best advise ?

Try the British Sporting Rifle Club at Bisley - they have a running deer range for full bore and running boar for .22

Also Corinium rifle range at Cirencester is in the process of installing a running boar range. Paul, who owns the range, is a member here (try sending a PM to "HME") and probably has more details.

Other than that, I found it useful to practice mounting my rifle and following a moving object in the garden, of course making sure your rifle is unloaded/safe at all times. I removed everything extraneous from the rifle first and made sure I had the same scope mounted as I'd be using on boar. I also fitted a cheek piece over the butt to make sure I could mount the rifle the same each time.

Oh, and I watched the Wild Boar Fever DVD's enough times that it all started to look deceptively easy ;)

Not sure how much impact all this had, but I did finally shoot my first couple of driven boar last year. I'm off again in November, so hopefully will have similar luck this year.

As far as I'm aware, the only moving target range round these parts is the BSRC in Bisley, which has both running boar ranges (.22RF) and running deer (full bore). Or alternately you ask someone to roll an old car wheel down a hillside and try and shoot it. With a safe backstop of course...

Take a trip with Stalking England or similar to a shooting cinema.
Go and shoot some bolting rabbits or low crossing clays.
Regards
JCS

Is it a scoped bolt or double rifle with open sights? If latter then shoot bolting rabbits with a shotgun. Otherwise would agree BSRC your best option. Although I would say both the deer and the boar targets move slower there than the real thing, but will certainly give you a feel for the lead you will need to give. More than you would expect at 100 yards even with a rifle bullet speed!

S

BSRC
Can do boar target on Running deer range. PM me for details and I will put you in touch with someone. There is an option to do moving targets on another range at Bisley but only cost effective if you are a full member.

Certainly nothing to compare with actually physically swinging your shooter and pulling the trigger, but the Swarovski 'Lead Distance' App for iPhone and Android can be a bit of virtual fun to 'practice' with:

http://uk.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/blog/lead_distance_app

Works particularly well if you have a Swaro 'scope with one of the driven reticles like the CDI as you can link to the 'Subtensions Dimensions' online program, (also handily available as a Smartphone App), to work out your reticle stand-off/lead distances, but does have the regular 4, 4a, etc.

http://subtensions.swarovskioptik.com/#/setup/init/en

View attachment 55101View attachment 55103

Forgot to add that they are freebies.

Last edited:
someone I know practiced using old car tyres with cardboard centres,

when rolled down a slope they make a decent run for it,

As you are in London, it is very easy to do a day trip over to France for a session on a running boar range. I have been to one at Arras Ball Trap twice & it is excellent - only about 1 hour's drive from the tunnel. Combine it with a trip to Terres et Eaux just outside Calais - 1 minute from the motorway, then stock up with a load of good value wine, beer and cheese etc. on the way back. Winner all round!

for me the best practice is go over to where there is a shooting cinema you learn so much from them because you can see where you went wrong as apposed to guessing a cheap flight over to sweden or france and book the cinema with a couple of friends, atb wayne

for me the best practice is go over to where there is a shooting cinema you learn so much from them because you can see where you went wrong as apposed to guessing a cheap flight over to sweden or france and book the cinema with a couple of friends, atb wayne

There's a shooting cinema near Arlanda, Stockholm airport and a new one opened very near landvetter, Gothenberg airport. I was there 2 weeks ago.
Great fun and you can go through a load of ammo. Not the place for those who are going to get all anal about their barrel getting hot.

There's a shooting cinema near Arlanda, Stockholm airport and a new one opened very near landvetter, Gothenberg airport. I was there 2 weeks ago.
Great fun and you can go through a load of ammo. Not the place for those who are going to get all anal about their barrel getting hot.

Proper use of a rifle if you ask me.

At the risk of further derision, this time next week there will be a fully functional custom running boar range with no restrictions with access to all. Unfortunately this won't be free which will clearly put a large number of people off. However, neither was the range free to build.

It is also our intention to use the range along with our existing training facilities to further promote the proper management of the UK boar population whilst enhancing the skill of driven rifle shooters in general, although in terms of courses we may be a few months away yet.

This is a big and costly venture but will hopefully provide a more useful and purposeful facility than a rolling tyre!

HME

the one we went to is JAKT AND FISK IN VASTERVIK very good indeed i am sure there is many more you could watch others from inside the shop whilst they were downstairs shooting it gets very competative indeed, atb wayne

Drop-in skytte | Jakt och Fiskebutiken i Västervik

I think there are at least 4 cinema shooting ranges in Sweden now. I did the Tuesday drop in at Landvetter. about £20 for half an hour plus ammo. I shot at least 75 shots in a bit over the half hour. I'm going to try and go once every month. Cheaper to go with your own ammo than buy theirs.

At the risk of further derision, this time next week there will be a fully functional custom running boar range with no restrictions with access to all. Unfortunately this won't be free which will clearly put a large number of people off. However, neither was the range free to build.

It is also our intention to use the range along with our existing training facilities to further promote the proper management of the UK boar population whilst enhancing the skill of driven rifle shooters in general, although in terms of courses we may be a few months away yet.

This is a big and costly venture but will hopefully provide a more useful and purposeful facility than a rolling tyre!

HME

Well done to you Paul for supplying the advance needs of the UK shooter, Sal got a cake stall too?

Back