Eradication of farm animals in Surrey

terrier

I've noticed for some time round here in south west Surrey that the nearest thing you ever see to a farm animal is a llama or an alpaca. recently there are huge expanses of pasture given over to posh horses (where in previous years you would have seen many family groups of roe around now).
Clearly this trend will continue to spread....
What will be the effect on stalking? Or do people already live with it?

Standard 'Gin & Jaguar belt' the deer are about but normally found lounging in the front garden next to the duck pond, was like this in Farnham & surroundings some years back.

Fields near me will soon be full of nodding donkeys, the test well is four miles away.

maybe I should sink an oil well in the back garden?

Don't get me started.... f***ing horses...they are everywhere round here. So many small farms round here now all post and rails, crappy shelters/stables and nags. Many thousands of acres now taken from food production to horses and nobodies even eating them. Reasons to hate horses encroaching on our countyside:

1. Cause congestion on the roads with some ex Post Office lorry converted to horse box driven by a late middle aged female nutter.
2. Property prices gone through the roof. Impossable for a normal person to get a bit of land and do something useful with it.
3. It's not just the land that these animal are left on all year that used to be farmland that is the problem but the other milions of acres put over to hay etc for feeding the damn things.
4. It would be alright if they actually got ridden anywhere or did something useful, a vast proportion hardly do anything and they live for ever as well......don't start me on donkeys.
5. They poach the ground, eat hedges and generally ruin good ground.
6. They are the most unenviromentaly friendly thing..you thought running a Ferrari was bad forget it. You've got to run you 4x4 around to and fro daily to sort your horse then tow it around in a trailer then feed (fertiliser ,diesel, transport involved) it and shelter it etc etc They are the ultimate consumer item.

I have decided not to make it personal and get stuck into horsey people as that is a whole other subject. Needless to say there are some good ones and some bad . I will say that horse ownership does not make you a country person as many think.

With regards to deer, the horse thing imo generally cocks it up. To much disturbance particularly where the poor sods are left out all winter leaving he ground bare and people about all the time. Horsey places can't leave anything alone, gone will be the rough bit of ground in the corner etc.
The only good thing is one of my best bits of ground is a small farm which is put over entirely to hay for horses this is good for roe.

Last edited:
+1 regarding horses - we need to have a more Italian perspective on them à là tartare....

And bloody solar farms - expensive silicon backstop! :old:

Oil found in England :eek:
Now don't go and get ideas about having a referendum on independence :D

They drilled for oil on my stalking ground in Sussex and capped the well. There was a well up on the South Downs producing oil when i left England

Some of the worlds longest horizontal wells are already under Poole harbour ( BP witch farm)

aint just surrey m8.we got alpac,as lamas,horses and horse,s arse,s all around here.money talks n farmers walk.maybe we could get all the horse s... and lama s... and see how long it takes to fill the channel tunnel in:evil:

Many thanks, Liongeorge.
You expressed exactly what I was thinking vastly better than I did!
Thanks Terrier it's nice to know I'm not alone.

By all means if anyone wants to add to the list feel free.....I've just thought of another couple for the list:

7. I have a friend who used to work in the Salisbury spinal unit, she said it the most common causes of serious spinal permanent life changing injuries were bikers and little girls who had fallen off horses.
8. They block up every lane round here plodding along at slower than walking pace. Those are the lucky ones that make it out of the field.

We used to have a good farm show in Cheshire now that is a bleeding
horse show there are millions of them turn out even my two Cheshire
diesnt have any room for deer with all the horses

Is there an official opinion anywhere on this increasingly widespread loss of farmland? NFU? Planning policy?........BASC?

Back