Do many folk take tactical rifles stalking?

I Like most rifles blue&wood and 'tactiblack'

what I can't stand are the 'my way is the only way' attitude some project.

shoot safely, shoot well and use the tool you are most effective with.

these days any gun terrifies joe public as they have been so successfully programmed by media and successive governments.

I use an old PH .3006 in wood an blue as well as some AI/AX stocked specials
the all work

I have carried " tactical " rifles while hunting , to be honest , I really don't give it much thought either . I enjoy shooting anything I can get my hands on . Currently , I've been using a lot of older rifles and cartridges , but I've spent a lot of time shooting what most would call tactical rifles . They all have pros and cons , in short , I don't differentiate between them . If it blows your hair back , use it .

AB

Well as I use a semi custom remmy 700 in an AICS with a Leupold Mk 4 tactical scope, and versa pod then I fit into this catergory.

all I can say is that with a biathlon type sling its a doodle to carry it and i know its more accurate than me, and its normal the first shot that counts. Also being plastic it doesn't matter if it gets knocked about. Yes it is heavy but its great of the bi pod and off quad sticks.

D

So that'll be some do and some don't. Personally the thought of lugging around one of my heavy tactical rifles with large scopes when I can carry a light responsive hunting rifle with suitable optics is nuts.

There does seem to be a trend developing of rifles getting heavier and folks using stupidly powerful optics. We all know stalkers using scopes in excess of x12 magnification, rarely shoot beyond 200yrs and rarely move that optic magnification ring.

Horses for courses. That's what makes life interesting.

I use my PSE stocked rifle with DBM on the hill. Heavier than my 308 Tikka but not by much and superbly comfortable to carry with properly positioned side mounted sling mounting points. The DBM is not a thing of beauty but is robust and the adjustable stock maximises the chance of proper sight alignment and an accurate shot. Perfect for me ....yes! Perfect for everyone ....I'm sure not

Yeh its a little heavier but Hey thats what the Gym is for

Prototype_person1.jpg

Tactical 1944 stylee.

A No 5 , probably one of the handiest general purpose issue rifles made . They make a great little hunting package exactly as issued , my eyes aren't what they used to be , so the scope on yours ( with cheek piece ) would make it even better . I like your rifle Harry mac , very cool .

AB

I bring my 40xb for deer and goats the whole time,Iv hunted up mountains and in woods and over farm fields with it.I like tactical style rifles and was into long range shooting before I got into deer so I just ended up using the rifles I had which happened to be tactical style.
a35i1.jpg

1z67gnd.jpg

vhxkjt.jpg

I bring my 40xb for deer and goats the whole time,Iv hunted up mountains and in woods and over farm fields with it.I like tactical style rifles and was into long range shooting before I got into deer so I just ended up using the rifles I had which happened to be tactical style.
a35i1.jpg

1z67gnd.jpg

vhxkjt.jpg

Is is that tactical gaffer tape on the Middle picture?

Do many folk take tactical rifles stalking? Just be interested to know?
Thank you in advance John

I have a Dragunov in 7.62x54R, is that the kind of 'tactical' you meant? :)

There's no ballistic reason not to use it for stalking. It doesn't weigh a great deal but the very effective muzzle brake ensures so recoil is no problem.
It is rather long for active woodland stalking, the bipod fits to the action in front of the magazine and is, well, very Russian. With the military POSP scope, or even the iron sights, it's plenty accurate enough, even for off hand shooting or off sticks. But I have plenty of other rifles more suited to the job. A friends of mine uses his SMLE for boar. That is, he's been out half a dozen times on driven boar shoots (in the UK) but has yet to let a round go.

-JMS

Back