Hornady GMX

Big Kev

I have been using H4895 powder with Hornady 165 gr Interlocks in my sako 85 in 308 giving me 2656 fps and a pretty tight group,my supply of hand loads was getting low and due to lack of like for like replacements decided to work on another load with something more available.
Picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady 150gr GMX as the stocks seemed pretty high and a tub of Vihtavouri n550, loaded some test rounds (which I havn't tried yet ) and still I didn't notice.
Sat down at the PC yesterday and looked at the box, Qty 50, hit me between the eyes, thought I'd bought 200 heads and at £39.95 a box it makes for a pricey replacement. Has anyone else paid around that price or have I been done ?.

That's about the right money Kev I have tried them in 7mm08 and a friend in 223 and we have found we are getting runners with them about 50% to be more precise they just don't seem to expand as well as the interlocks and seem to just pencil through , I have made enquiries with Hornady and they have told me to go up 10gr and slow them down a bit for more satisfactory results .

I bought some of these to load for my .30-06, couldn't get a decent group with a number of different loads and had a helluva job cleaning the left over copper out of the barrel, I'll be sticking to SST's.

GMX copper they are PISH 20 shots at deer 14 long distance runners thank Christ I have a dog.

My understanding is that they are made out of gilding metal, a harder alloy than pure copper used by Barnes. Combine this with a heavy ish bullet that penetrates like mad and it's not surprising that the results are a little less than perfect. Unfortunately hornady and Nosler are a few years behind Barnes and GS custom in realising that light for calibre bullets give the best performance with non lead bullets.

My understanding is that they are made out of gilding metal, a harder alloy than pure copper used by Barnes. Combine this with a heavy ish bullet that penetrates like mad and it's not surprising that the results are a little less than perfect. Unfortunately hornady and Nosler are a few years behind Barnes and GS custom in realising that light for calibre bullets give the best performance with non lead bullets.

This as I understand it is due to higher impact velocities to aid expansion on a harder solid
slowing down hard bullets on light game leads to the pencilling you describe

I have some gmx to try in 270
but they are clocking close to 600fps more and are 30gr lighter

expect them to work better than described

I've tried gmx in .223 and couldn't get a group so gave up. if anyone has any load data let me know please. I get the impression because they are made of copper they are lighter so have to be longer to get the required weight. This means they are a pain to stabilise.

I don't really get my were moving away from lead bullets. Who ever died of lead poisoning? and why change something that works well?

in most cases the best materials have been used for centuries i.e. leather, wool and lead bullets!

I've tried gmx in .223 and couldn't get a group so gave up. if anyone has any load data let me know please. I get the impression because they are made of copper they are lighter so have to be longer to get the required weight. This means they are a pain to stabilise.

I don't really get my were moving away from lead bullets. Who ever died of lead poisoning? and why change something that works well?

in most cases the best materials have been used for centuries i.e. leather, wool and lead bullets!

lead bullet enters body and fragments leaving thousands of lead fragments. Deer is gralloched leaving innards laced with lead on ground. Entrails eaten by condor who dies of lead poisoning. Enter scientist stage left who publishes paper that is disseminated worldwide.

I find the factory rounds very good, only had one hind run any serious distance. The bullet never hit anything solid so past straight through without expanding. They are not quite as good as the federal Barnes triple shock x bullet though.

Back