Right, as I've said elsewhere, apologies for starting yet another thread on Moderators!
However, I have now got my ticket through to allow me to put a moderator on my Sako 75 in .308 but I want to verify the steps and gain from the collective experience on the site.
The barrel is the regular profile, blued and uncut, so:
1. What thread should I specify for the moderator/barrel? There seem to be so many - 1/2"UNF, 5/8"UNF, M15, M17, M19, etc, etc. Does it matter??
2. When I have the barrel re-crowned, what profile (if any) should I specify, or do I leave it to the riflesmith's personal preference?
3. Is it worth having any of the existing barrel length removed? It's a standard Model III 75, so presumably 570mm length with a 1-in-11 twist.
4. Which moderator should I go for (ouch!!)? I am tempted by the stainless MYM from Border Barrels (http://www.border-barrels.com/sound_moderators.html) or the ASE Jet-Z (http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1428) but am willing to be guided as appropriate
5. Will then be looking to get someone local (Oxon/Berks/Wilts) to do the work. I was going to go to Steve Bowers but from what I've heard he has a HUGE waiting list. Any suggestions?
All advice, comments, insults, etc gratefully received.