Muntjac with .222 ?

3.5mag

As per the title who's taking Munties successfully with a triple and with what ammo.
I'm only asking as my current triple is going dedicated NV for Charlie and I'm toying with the expensive route of
buying a second for daylight fox and muntjac even though I have an a .308 which would obviously do the job.
I guess I just love the sweet shooting characteristics of the calibre!
All advice welcomed.

Anybody using a CZ527 ? Just wondering if they'll handle a 55grn ? I ask since if I take the option of a 2nd triple I'll be looking in that direction ( fond memories ! )

Anybody using a CZ527 ? Just wondering if they'll handle a 55grn ? I ask since if I take the option of a 2nd triple I'll be looking in that direction ( fond memories ! )

I have the Brno version, fox mod 2
1:14" twist
i shoot 60gr at circa 3000fps

pick your MV

Thank you for your comments gents - and if I may take up your offer Ed and contact you when I start reloading.
I'm currently using Fiocchi 50 grn Vmax in my BDL - is the brass any good?

Got a 527 in .223, lovely rig. Sure the munties would not notice the difference if it was a .222Rem...

I've always used my rem 700 in .223 for the job but can't see a problem with .222 as long as your firearms department have put it on as an accepted condition, sorry don't want to tell you to suck eggs etc but technicalities like that can get you in hot water quiet easily

lee

No problem there Lee - granted fox and AOLQ on current Triple so forsee no probs with variation unless FEO poo - poo's a second Triple because I also have a .308 for everything.

Last edited:
Hi matey

I have AOLQ on my ticket along side my .223, .22/250, .243 and .308 but conditions still list the actual deer next to the calibre before it lists AOLQ and fox etc, just be careful like i said simple slip up not being in conditions could cause unnecessary problems, especially seeings your putting in for another .222 just ask them to put in on the condition

with regards to having two .222 can't see that being a problem with your Firearms dept, like you've mentioned you want one as a dedicated NV and one with standard scope configuration thats justified reason for two, i put in for a .308 varmint barrelled rifle after having a .308 stalking rifle along with a .300 win mag all for deer

also have five .22lrs on ticket can understand why they said yes to that request but they did

lee

also .308 may not be suitable for some shots across some of your land so another justified reason for two .222

When a correspondent was interviewing Bell he mentioned that a lot of hunters were being killed by elephants while using the calibre Bell recommended.
Bell allegedly replied, after a few seconds thought that he used it, but never recommended it.
Priceless

Hi

I use a .222 Tikka M595 with Norma 50grn SP - always worked on Muntjac (and Roe in Scotland).

L

Back