Bronze or Nylon bore Brush ?

Uncle Buck

Being old school I've used a bronze brush for 30+yrs. as times have changed,

firearms as well as the solvents and materials used to clean them.

Is the Nylon brush the way to go...?

Buck.

Buck.

I always used a bronze brush in my shotgun for about as long as you, but with the copper solvent for the rifle I use a nylon brush.

I actually rarely use a brush at all in the rifle because the Wipe Out Tactical Advantage stuff works with just cloth patches. I use a 3.2mm piece of SS Tig welding rod to push the wet patches through and then use a .308 specific brass jag with a patch on to clean it out and check the colour. I will make up an aluminium or SS jag eventually, but the brass one does not seem to come in contact with the liquid enough to create a colour tell tale.

Alan

Use bronze. The nylon brushes do not have near the scrubbing/scraping effect as the bronze brushes do. Nylon can also embed dirt and grit that is not good for the bore. Chemical only solutions work ok if you have a mirror-like bore and you maintain them scrupulously so you always need to have a brush available. When you use a brush don't dip it in your solvent or you may contaminate the entire bottle. When the brush starts to look bad toss it. You can buy a lot of brushes for the cost of replacing a barrel.

I have found nylon brushes make great substitute jags when you lack one of the right size. They hold the patch tight and will not alllow it to come off in the bore.

SS

Buck.

I see only 2 people clean there rifles on here Buck!

anyway I hear you like a good dose of WD40 down the bore after the days stalking. Lol

anyway I hear you like a good dose of WD40 down the bore after the days stalking. Lol

Either that or I've got the Black Spot ! :D

WD 52 to you son .."great rust penetrant" ! might have saved your

rifle stock from busting when you try'd to remove moderator ;)

Ps. Talking about dose's have you had yours today ! :rofl:

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
every chemical clean i have tried i can allways get a black patch out again if i use a bronze brush.nylon just dont do owt so i use them for cleaning case necks.

Either that or I've got the Black Spot ! :D

WD 52 to you son .."great rust penetrant" ! might have saved your

rifle stock from busting when you try'd to remove moderator ;)

Ps. Talking about dose's have you had yours today ! :rofl:

Cheers guys.

I have never tried WD40 as a bore cleaner does it work. LOL...
YA FUD.

I have never tried WD40 as a bore cleaner does it work. LOL...
YA FUD.

Make your mind up for goodness

sake "before or after" ya bigger fud ! Lol

Ps.anyways lets get back on track "Bronze or Nylon" brush ?

Last edited:
every chemical clean i have tried i can allways get a black patch out again if i use a bronze brush.nylon just dont do owt so i use them for cleaning case necks.

I am not quite clear from your description. If you use a bronze brush with an ammonia / copper solvent, the colour on the patch could be the copper in the bronze brush being dissolved rather than it lifting any extra from the bore.

Alan

Nylon brush for general and then maybe twice a year or if breaking in a new barrel i will get the bronze out.

Nylon for unburnt propellant - bronze for copper fouling - bit extreme though, just use some wipeout every 6 months

When its a major clean after a lot of shots i will use bronze brush and once done clean the brush with brake cleaner or the like or it will last no time m8

I am not quite clear from your description. If you use a bronze brush with an ammonia / copper solvent, the colour on the patch could be the copper in the bronze brush being dissolved rather than it lifting any extra from the bore.

Alan
yeh that's why i said black not blue pal

yeh that's why i said black not blue pal

Yes you did pal. But your experience of the efficacy of nylon brushes are the opposite of mine, and you did not specify what chemicals you were using...which is why I asked for clarification. The bronze brush bristles are an alloy of copper and tin and/or zinc and/or aluminium and/or phosphorus probably on a steel wire spine so there are lots of different possible combinations of colour and result depending on the chemicals used. Even the normal blue copper and ammonia combination can be varied by excess ammonia...

from complex ions - colour

If you add an excess of ammonia solution to hexaaquacopper(II) ions in solution, the pale blue (cyan) colour is replaced by a dark inky blue as some of the water molecules in the complex ion are replaced by ammonia.
cucolours.gif

Last edited:
Back