A little advice please

NorthDorset

After a horrible year last year I have had a world of opportunity dropped in my lap and I'm keen not to turn it down.

I'm already booked to shoot Black Bear in Canada this September, I have ummed and erred about taking my own rifle out but coals to Newcastle comes to mind.

I've been offered some Boar in Turkey by a Turkish friend and on telling this to my buddy who lives in Czech Republic he has organised boar out there with is neighbour who has been asking him to come for years! Game shooting is clearly like busses.

Spoke to my FEO earlier in the year. The suggestion was made that based on the type of shooting I do already 300 Win mag or .338Win mag wouldn't be a problem and would be legal for my UK stalking too.

If you were looking at a gun for woodland (sub 100m) potentially dangerous game on the move what would you recommend in terms of barrel length, scope and calibre?

Last edited:
Simples ---- In Europe 9.3 x 62 --- In America possibly the 35 Whelen ---- Easy to reload for, not expensive or fussy, --- ideal close quarters calibres --- smooth feeding, chambering & ballistics all great. Recoil like a heavy 30-06.
Works fine in short barrel rifles & has great knock down characteristics.

Ian

Agree with Yorric.

It's a dilemma I've also fortunately found myself with and here's the combo I've rightly or wrongly ordered:

Merkel Helix 'SWF5' take-down in 9.3x62 (much easier to transport by air etc. plus additional barrels in the calibre(s) of your choice are a breeze to carry and change).

Short semi-weight fluted 51cm barrel for 'pointability' whilst maintaining a bit of weight up front to aid the swing.

5 round detachable magazines, adjustable stock comb and an oversize bolt knob complete the ensemble.

View attachment 55303

Scope is a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 with CDI reticle, which I've already tried on my .308 Steyr and been very pleased with. Mounts on the Merkel will be Ziegler ZP as I'll probably add a Swaro Z6i 1.7x10 in due course to go with the .308 barrel I've also ordered for general stalking.

Hi Ian

There are only 3 of those on Guntrader and none on Gunstar.

Its not a calibre that I know anyone shooting around these parts to try.

I would like use out of it for UK stalking too. That was all OK for you?

North Dorset
Take any long action donor in 30-06 or 270 etc (old Sako or Tikka - whatever you like, feeds well & fits you best) & get it rebarrelled by a decent riflesmith ---- semi custom for less than a new rifle --- What's not to like & a lot quicker than waiting for the "right" one to come up second hand?

My friend in Basingstoke is about to pick up a spanking new Sako Grizzly in 9.3x62 -- He has it on ticket for deer (issued by Hampshire).

Ian

That's good to know.

There was a shot out Sako 75 Stain/Synth that would have suited that project on here recently.

Anybody got an opinion on this calibre versus .300 Win Mag? (I found one of those)

300 Win Mag is more of a long range cartridge than the 9.3 & as with other magnums usually is associated with longer barrels. -- It will however certainly kill Bambi, Porky or Bruin quite efficiently.
My view is choose a bullet weight, design & velocity for your hunting range / terminal performance & then get the most efficient chambering to launch it in the most appropriate rifle form for where you will hunt. - That's why I suggested the 9.3.

Ian

I guessed you were thinking along those lines Ian. I did start off thinking .444 in a Marlin. I speed shoot a Marlin now and I have used one briefly before.

I have to suss out how multipurpose I need. Given the selection in my cabinet you wouldn't think this would be a big consideration!

Scopewise a wide field of view I understand is best for making potential bacon.

North Dorset
Take any long action donor in 30-06 or 270 etc (old Sako or Tikka - whatever you like, feeds well & fits you best) & get it rebarrelled by a decent riflesmith ---- semi custom for less than a new rifle --- What's not to like & a lot quicker than waiting for the "right" one to come up second hand?

My friend in Basingstoke is about to pick up a spanking new Sako Grizzly in 9.3x62 -- He has it on ticket for deer (issued by Hampshire).

Ian

That Sako Grizzly is a cracking rifle. I've handled a couple and they feel and point just right for me. Plus they all seem to have a nice bit of wood on them. Only thing i would add is a adjustable comb on the stock. I had the adjustable comb fitted on my M03 and it makes a great difference to the fit when shooting running targets.

Back