Tikka T3 V Sako 75

Perrycombova

As per title, am getting a 6.55x55 in the very near future, slot on ticket but can't make up my mind between a T3 or Sako 75, not bothered wood/blue or s/s. Any thoughts??

Have a look at Tikka for sale in classifieds
Nothing to do with me but looks a bargain!

Both great

I am about to pick up a t3 wood blue in 6.5 ,if i could afford it or the shop could have been bothered to answer it would have been a 75,but im not fussed my others a t3 blue wood and i love it, you wont go wrong with either,i know people like synth but im not people,atb doug, oops i f,got dc5,s selling one:doh:

Cheers Guys, have seen the ads on here and other sites. I will set my budget at say, £750. Had a 75 before in .243 and that was a nice bit of kit tbh!

I've just got a tikka t3 super varmint in .223 and I'm shooting crows at 250 yds.
You won't be disappointed.
if you can get the super varmint model I would recommend. It has a picatinny rail, tactical bolt handle, adjustable cheek rest and looks damn sexyIMG_1068.jpg

I have owned T3s and 75s in .243 and .222.

There is very little to choose between them, and for the average stalker under field conditions, no measurable difference in accuracy or performance.

The key differences are:

75 can be top loaded (double stack magazine and big ejection port). T3 cannot.

75 has more magazine capacity (in .243 it takes 5, while T3 takes 3).

You can find 75s that have not been screw cut and which have 22" barrels. This is much rarer with T3s, which are almost all 20" barrels. This may be a consideration for 6.5x55, which I understand benefits from a longer barrel.

75 has an extra button by the safety catch that allows it to be unloaded with the safety on.

75 has several different action lenghts, scaled to cartridge family. T3 has one size fits all action.

75 has integral recoil lug. T3 has separate 'floating', aluminium, recoil lug. Much debate about whether this makes any difference.

Fit and finish on 75 on balance probably better - feels sturdier.

Mostly metal parts in 75, some plastic in T3. Only place where this may make a real difference is bolt shroud, which has a reputation fir cracking eventually in the T3.

Last edited:
Other thing to add is that 75s will be older - the youngest are now probably 8-10 years old. They are also, usually, very overpriced.

However, they may not have been used as heavily. T3s are real work horse guns, often very heavily used.

If you have the option of both in equal condition, I would take the 75. But either will serve you well.

Thanks again for the replies all. Leaning towards a 75 from the start having had one before but T3s are very competitively priced. Am sticking to my budget and will see what I can find!!

The Sako 75s made for the US market and Continental market had 600mm barrels in 6.5x55, same as the Tikka T3 does here.

The 75 in stainless synthetic is in my opinion about the most usable stalking gun (full stop)

The Tikka does not feel as nice on a cold wet day as the twin moulded Sako. The plastic tackiness of the T3 doesn't compare to the slick metal components of the 75.

Both are good guns and will do the same job.

Last edited:
Looked at Tika but baught a Sako

If id baught a Tika id need to have changed the stock which would have made it more expensive than the Sako. I realy dont like the plastic stocks on Tikas but aside from that they are excelent guns. That said I think you would struggle to get a Sako 75 on your budget. 900ish seems more likley so maybe a Tika is the way forward.

ATB

Chasey

Again, thanks for the replies. I know the budget is a bit tight Chasey but you never know, I sold my 75 in .243 for £800 with a good mod on it so £750 might not be too far away!

I've currently got both (.243 T3 and .308 75) and I will echo what Mungo said, both mine shoot about an inch at 100m with factory ammo, better if I spent either more time trialling different ammo or home loads. I definitely think the 75 is nicer and more refined, metal mag and bottom metal, you can remove the bolt while the safety is still on and top load the mag. I can't see and issues with the T3 or the plastic parts they work just as well (however I do prefer to be able to load through the ejection port) but it's just not as nice!

Hello Nick.308,
Crows at 250y, that's excellent shooting, beyond my modest capabilities I'm afraid.
I'm looking to purchase a T3 super varmint, specifically for dedicated use with I/R Night Vision; it has that adjustable comb raiser. If you have the time I have a question for you please.
I currently have a CZ527 Varmint in 223, 1 in 9 twist, and with the 40gr Federal V-shok BT, MV 3700fps, get exception grouping, even for me! They group better than the Winchester 55gr Silvertips in this rifle.
I know the T3 can be purchased with either 1 in 8 or 1 in 12 twist? Which is yours please and what factory ammo do you use and recommend with this T3?
Thanks for your time.
regards
Royr

Last edited:
Back