PPU SP ammunition

.30-06

Anyone using it with success ?

I did some test shooting at Selkirk range last week with my .270 and repeatedly shot 3 shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards (benchrested) using cheap as chips PPU SP 130 grain.

if you look around its a lot better than you think i use it in 223 55gr s/p shoots same as sako for a third of the price,john robbo was, maybe still does uses it 139grn s/p in 6x5x55,and i will be giving it a go next week same as robbos,check ulube videos for privvi, but dont tell the shops ssshhhh!

I think it is like Marmite, some guns love it and some hate it. It's just a matter of trying it, seeing how it shoots and hope your lucky.

I got a quantity of 139grain for my 6.5 never had a problem with it at the price you pay its not worth reloading your own unless you are going into competition. I have shot roe at all sorts of ranges with no worries for the last few years.

I bought some for my .223 today to try, on the back of the good results with the .270

I can't believe how much less it costs, although I have been told to expect a slightly more loopy trajectory - not an issue if you aren't into long shots IMHO

Browning A-Bolt (cheap as chips) shooting PPU ammo (equally cheap as chips) in .270 and it all just works. Who knew ?

;)

Watch this space...

:)

Out of curiosity is the brass worth passing on ?

A few of my friends reload, something I have neither the time nor inclination to fool with at the moment, but I don't know if the PPU cases are worth giving to them.

Hi
It shoots well in my 223, 243, 308 and I have just bought a box of 100grain to try in a 25-06 Tikka T3

lots of people reload it no probs,:thumb:

Good to know - I will hand my empties on for them to play with. It's a dark art as far as I am concerned...

Of course, a combination of inexpensive ammunition and a couple of mates who will happily do something with the empties is just another tick in another box. Means I can justify buying and shooting more of it, for the benefit of all concerned you understand ;)

I will drop 60 empties in tomorrow for one of my friends to mess about with - it might keep him out of mischief, briefly...

I've used the 55gr sp .22-250 in a rem 700 VS. Groups very well and Muntjac drop when it hits home. Last 3/4 have had good expansion with 50p size exit. 1 went through the shoulder and caused massive internal damage to h&l area but did not exit. I think it is probably due to the sheer speed of the projectile. All for £12.80 per 20 :)

30-06 fine in my rifle ,the only concern i have is ,that there will be a price hike at some time ,and give us all a chance to talk about the good old days when good ammunition was affordable .

My SU-16 loves the 223, 55 grsain SP. My daughter's Winchester 243 shot sub MOA with the 243, 100 gr SP. Her Husband's Howa 30-06 did the same with PPU. My girlfriend's 7x57 shot an inch with the 139 grain last week while generating some brass for reloading.

Seems to be good stuff.~Muir

This was PPU SP .270 ammo through my Browning A-Bolt at Bisley, Selkirk, last week - shots taken at 100 yards, benchrested:

I can't see me doing better with any brand at any price and, even if I could, by how much ?

An inexpensive rig that shoots inexpensive ammo well has to be a good thing, no ?

My .222 loves them and at £49 per 100 they get used a lot. The .243 is a bit hit and miss with 90 grain stuff but still not bad for the money.

This was PPU SP .270 ammo through my Browning A-Bolt at Bisley, Selkirk, last week - shots taken at 100 yards, benchrested:

I can't see me doing better with any brand at any price and, even if I could, by how much ?

An inexpensive rig that shoots inexpensive ammo well has to be a good thing, no ?

I can get similar results in my .270 (Browning Eurobolt) with the 130grn PPU, must be something about .270 Brownings and PPU they seem to love it.

used it in estate rifle for 5 years never let me down in accuracy or inside a deer, doesnt seem to vary much from batch to batch either.
its slow but at sub 200m not a problem.
used it also in 22250, 300WM and my guides use it in 90gr in their 243's.

Back