When carp attack

That's nothing. Might I suggest you watch the following video . Warning - do not have liquid in your mouth while watching unless you want a coated computer screen. :lol:

I know one of these boys grew up not far from the filming location. Yes, it is true, they are not right in the head - but then, if I was younger I could probably be tempted into some of the same.

I think that would be frowned upon in most carp lakes in England.
He would have done better if he had a big basket and a frying pan handy.
Scary bit where he was towed through the trees.
Extremely weird and scary fish.
Hopefully not coming here.

I've seen these things thrashing around in the reeds in a lake in Canada when I was paddling around in a canoe. Massive great ugly things they were...

If they're that good to eat, I'd be filling my boots. As you say, you'd just need a landing net :thumb:

Much like the signal crayfish here in the UK, it seems not enough people are prepared to exploit a free & very easily-gathered source of top-grade food, while helping to actually control an environmental problem :cry:

T:rofl:hey have competitions now hundreds of boats catch them anyway they can, then they go to market or fertiliser,one of those lads is going to be wrapped around a tree!!they have bony plated skulls and are even all through the missisippi river now they cant stop the spread, another one that got released through fish farms for aqariums that is even worse is the Spearheads as they are full of teeth!!,

Last edited:
These are not the same carp you are familiar with. They are plankton feeders and will not take a bait, so to make them sporting you need to shoot them (or go full carp hunter on them with swords, axes, etc....)

so far these have invaded up the Mississippi River system but have been prevented from reaching the Great Lakes and Canada.

A very non-humorous side to these is the number of pleasure boaters receiving concussions each year. My best friend had his nose broke, and his wife was knocked unconscious two years ago. When they got the the Emergency Room he didn't want to confess what had happened (right, I was boating along when WHAM, I was attacked by a fish who broke my nose, knocked out my wife, then departed) until the ER Doc told them they averaged 3 fish strikes per week in that ER alone.

They look pretty lethal, right enough. Wouldn't be in the least bit funny to be hit by one :cry:

Are there any electro-fishing programs on the go? I know some river agencies in England are using electro-fishing to selectively remove zander, for instance. The currents are controlled to ensure fish are merely stunned, so non-target species can be left in the system unharmed

Woodsmoke,

They actually use some electric barriers in the canals that join the Great Lakes to the Mississippi River system. They seem to be holding, however, carp travel great distances during floods. As such, it will only take one good flood that pushes water levels above the barrier and off they go.

another major problem is that juvenile Asian carp resemble a species of baitfish called shad. Since shad do not keep well in a tank, they are usually caught fresh each day for fishing. This is probably how the infestation has already occurred and has just not risen to detectable levels yet.

Ah, thanks for that Coot' :thumb:

We have signal crayfish in a lot of waterways that were accidentally released from farms. They're significantly damaging a lot of waterways through erosion, as well as practically eradicating our native white-clawed crays in places. It's an offence to catch one and then release it. Perversely, it's also an offence to trap without a license :banghead:

Are there any similar measures in place for the carp? I.e. if one's caught is it an offence to release it, fro example?

Yes, I heard that about the signal crayfish..it is indeed bonkers.
I would be tempted to trap and eat but then some jobsworth would appear and I'd be screwed so it's not worth it.

I would be tempted to trap and eat but then some jobsworth would appear

I applied to the Edinburgh office some years ago for a license as they were in the Ericht......only to be told they wouldn't issue me one as there 'are none there'. I then asked what would be the likely scenario if I were to set traps to catch these non-existent crayfish & was told I'd be liable for prosecution if caught. I gave up after that :banghead:

I might be tempted to have another go as they really are good eating! I last caught them in Hampshire using a float set-up with luncheon meat tied to wool as a bait. Three of us caught dozens in less than an hour

A truly :cuckoo: situation.
Well done for trying to get the licence.
Amazing how the bureaucratic mind works, they must have to switch it on when they get to work and switch it off when they leave lol

Good to know that they are worth catching and eating though. I may have a bash at getting a licence myself.
Where did you apply to ?

Back