Leica Geovid 8x42 HD-B

MACKY

Looking for some information on the above binoculars.

Good point & bad.

Need to get my self a new pair of binos & have been looking at these on line.

Thanks

John

Good point & bad.

Thanks

John

I've had the old Leica HDs & Zeiss RFs and now Leica HD-Bs. The only range finding bins I haven't owned are the Swaros

Positives

Excellent optics.. as good if not better than anything else out there with a rangefinder built in
Built in ballistics computer and data is the best and most technologically advanced in the industry.
measures temp and barometric pressure and throws that into the ballistics output too
'advertised' 2,000 yard rangefinding (the longest of all the non military kit)
very comfortable in the hand
Incredible depth of field, You can go from 50 yards to 500 yards without touching the focus wheel, your own eyes can adjust.. I only use the focus wheel for fine adjustments and don't need to use the dioptre
ranging button is on the right side like the zeiss.. far better than the left side as is the swaros

The negatives

They are quite big and heavy in the hand but you sort of need to accept that with RF binos**
Advertised ranging ability is tosh... Whilst I have had them range beyond 2,000 yards when deliberately going for it on a very reflective target, real world 'first time' ranging is well under 1,000 yards.. up to 700 yards they don't miss anything, beyond that it can get a bit iffy.. I regularly get reading errors at 800 yards and beyond... find it normally impossible to get a reading beyond 11/1200 yards... that never happened right up to the abilities of the zeiss I had, they always worked 1st time. BUT.. I have put that little niggle to the back of my mind as I don't really need to range beyond what... 500! Just really irks me when things don't do what they are advertised as doing.
The ranging is a 2 press affair.. 1st press to activate, then press again to read, reading appears instantly but you have to wait a couple of seconds before the ballistics info appears.... a couple of seconds too long? Zeiss and swaro is press down to activate, release button to get a reading... better but not a deal breaker
Do you really need the ballistics computer? The angle compensation is fantastic and I suppose the fact it takes temp and humidity into account is a bonus but As I have an ASV+ turret on my scope, all I need to know is the adjusted range rather than MOA/MIL/Clicks etc... you might be different... do you need it at all over UK hunting ranges or do you just need an angle compensated distance?

**After having handled the Swaros at the shooting show now that I own the HD-Bs, the swaros feel much, much more compact in the hand and as such therefore 'feel' lighter, still don't like the lumpy bits on the bottom of the barrels though.. the ballistics computer is a bit slow and once you release the ranging button you have to wait a second before you see anything..

If I had my time over again I think I would have a hard time deciding between the Leicas and the Swaros..... Would I sell my Leicas to buy the Swaros.... No..

Not much more can be said

Last edited:
Thanks Vipa

Been looking for new binos & these have cough my eye.
I've also considered the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 as I use the Zeiss rangefinder with the same system & found it quite good.
As you said not going to shoot out to silly distances on deer so no real need for all the rest of the gizmos that come with the Leica.

Thanks

John

Thanks Vipa

Been looking for new binos & these have cough my eye.
I've also considered the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 as I use the Zeiss rangefinder with the same system & found it quite good.
As you said not going to shoot out to silly distances on deer so no real need for all the rest of the gizmos that come with the Leica.

Thanks

John

My only comment about the zeiss (and don't get me wrong, I loved them) is that they feel bulkier and heavier than any of the rivals.. Also, they may have similar transmission numbers on paper but to the eye they are noticeably dimmer than their rivals.. this I feel is due to the laser receiving screen in the right barrel.. they also don't compensate for angle.

The Leicas are far superior to the zeiss.. the only competition worth considering in my opinion are the swaros and that is only down to the compactness of them

That's all I'm looking for in range finding binoculars. Regards JCS

I agree whole heartedly JCS... I'm sure the plethora of other functionality will help the long range tactical shooters in the USA but even then, if you were into that, you'd probably be using separate ballistics computers anyway... there are limitations, even with the leicas... although, what it does, it does very well... apart from not living up to its range finding ability claims!

I have the leica geovid hd 8x42 for a few years now. Compared to Zeiss rf , swaro rf and the Bushnell fusion. I think the leicas are the best value and the best glass. The new b version which I looked through feels like a smaller form factor but as I dont shoot over 300m and my swaro scopes have the tds reticle the drop calculator serves no useful purpose. I would save money and buy second hand geovid hd 8x42. You will be happy.

I have the leica geovid hd 8x42 for a few years now. Compared to Zeiss rf , swaro rf and the Bushnell fusion. I think the leicas are the best value and the best glass. The new b version which I looked through feels like a smaller form factor but as I dont shoot over 300m and my swaro scopes have the tds reticle the drop calculator serves no useful purpose. I would save money and buy second hand geovid hd 8x42. You will be happy.

The technology is archaic in the old Leicas though.. yes it works, but to only have one function in this day and age and to have to choose between yards and meters before you buy is a little 1980s! nothing wrong with the old HDs, they do what they say on the tin but in reality in looks, ergonomics and tech... they are like saying don't bother with the BMW M3, buy a ford Anglia and spend the difference on something else! lol

Good point & bad.

Thanks

John

I changed from Zeiss RF bins to a pair of 8x42 HD-Bs and could not get on with them, Then I borrowed a mates pair of 10x42 HD-Bs and bingo loved them. For some reason to my eyes the 10x just seem to 'work' whereas the 8x did not. I sold my 8s and got a pair of 10s and could not be happier with them. Had a few issues early on with the extending eye tubes having always just pulled them out to max, on my 10x this is not the case.

The software is outstanding, being able to set up Mini SD cards specific to an individual rifle is a great feature, then setting the readouts as per your scope clicks. I get the argument that long range hunting is not the norm in the UK but the bins in conjunction with a Leica Magnus with BDC turret saved my arse recently where a very long range second shot was needed... Pinged with the bins, distance read out followed by number of clicks adjustment needed, scope adjusted, trigger pulled and job done. There would have been no time for reference to ballistic charts etc.

I know Im not the only SD member that could not get along with the 8x.

Regards

Ed

Back