New Boots?

Corvid8x57

Looking to replace my ageing pair of Le Chameau Mouflons. I have heard that the new ones are not as well made, can anyone confirm this or advise of the alternatives - either the tall Harkila ones or Meindl Douvre Extremes. Many thanks.

Looking to replace my ageing pair of Le Chameau Mouflons. I have heard that the new ones are not as well made, can anyone confirm this or advise of the alternatives - either the tall Harkila ones or Meindl Douvre Extremes. Many thanks.
Plenty of threads on this subject. My first , second and third choice would be meindl Dovre .

I have loads of boots , Danners/Lundhags, etc, but a pleasant surprise came from a pair of workboots I had for Christmas 2013, they were "safety boots" although the toe caps must be some sort of composite or maybe nylon, very light weight to wear, I wore them stalking one outing,& then quite a few more outings, they outshone a good portion of boot offerings I have had over the years! These only in brown, http://www.foot-pain-explored.com/images/cat_supremacy200.jpg

Meindl for me too, I have just bought my second pair from Millets online, £132.00p delivered FOC, Great outdoors had the same boots for £165.00p, which is one penny over RRP!!, my first pair are in great shape, but I always try to keep a second pair in case

Hi Corvid, my first pair of Mouflons lasted me 7 years! I wear them about twice a week on average. Second pair only lasted 18 months. Definate drop in quality. I've now gone down the Dovre extreme route, had them 3 yrs now and they're still looking very fresh. Time will tell though.
Hope this helps.
ATB Lee

LOWA for me, got a pair of GTX boots, waterproof, warm, plenty of support and comfortable, also have a pair of the LOWA desert boots for summer months. They now do a brown pair which are issued to the UK armed forces, have a look on Mil Surplus sites.

The surplus "high liability" boots are now made by either Altburg or Haix. I've been using a Haix pair and they are very good, well made, waterproof and are standing up so far. I've 7 other pairs of boots including Mendil Douvres and Scarpas and the Haix are certainly no worse in terms of quality than any of them, and perhaps better than some. On the negative side I found they took a little breaking in, but higher leg boots are always like that with me, and I'm given to believe that they are now becoming hard to get as people catch on to them. Both the Altbergs and haix boots were selling for £50 in surplus stores and although mine were marked as "grade 1" they were brand new.

Check out the Altberg Tetheras and see how they fit you. I needed to replace my Raichle Mountain GTX boots, I looked at the new ones now made by Mammut but quality wise they are now a different boot it appears. The best fit for me were the Altbergs.
I would recommend you try the boots on before you buy everyones feet are different.

Under keeper got pair of new le chameau last season and toe cap scrubbed through to leather straight away won't be having pair of them shame as always loved the old ones

The question I'd ask is what are they for?

For Scotland hills, Dovre Extreme every time but I don't think I've ever used them down here in the South. Just no need for that much boot.
I think there are loads of lighter (and cheaper) boots out there which would be more suited to woodland or lowland.

Incidentally, I found the Dovre's hard i.e. little cushioning when doing high mile yomps after 4 years of use so I replaced the insole with a sorbothan one.

For Scotland hills, Dovre Extreme every time but I don't think I've ever used them down here in the South.

I've found that the Dovre Extremes do not offer the same level of ankle support as other options - usually from dedicated walking/mountain boot ranges so I use my Dovres for lowland and forestry type stalking which is less demanding on them.

Had mouflons they lasted 3 years that was when they were ok ,bought lundhags next, 5 yrs on them bit of stitching gone on the heel and wore through the gussets up the tongue, sent them back for repair, new tongues and heel sections replaced cost about £100 and good for another 5 yrs i rekon, worked out over the years they are cheap boots and none of that poxy gortex inside which just helps your boots rot quicker.

Back