Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Spitfire pilot - a short documentary with rare home movies

American Spitfire pilot - a short documentary with rare home movies

This is a short documentary put together by professional film makers, from the personal movies taken by their grandfather, a US Army Air Corps pilot and flight surgeon, of Americans flying Spitfires out of England, 1942 - 1945.

SPITFIRE 944 - YouTube

Excellent! Thank you for posting that.~Muir

That was a great short film . I loved the point where he realized he was watching himself belly in the Spitfire , priceless .

Fantastic, thanks.

Magical to see the reaction of the pilot to film footage he had never seen before. Excellent thanks for posting.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

The greatest aircraft during WW2, flown by the bravest of men. What a remarkable piece of history, and a brave man who along with many others we owe our freedom too.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Don't disagree Malc about the bravery of the men but as fine as the spitfire was it's really a matter of debate as to whether it was the finest aircraft or for that matter even the finest fighter of the era.
    As to our freedom don't even get me started, what happened to our pistols and self loading rifles never mind hunting with dogs.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Wonderful. Thank you.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    What a wonderful short film - thanks so much for posting that.

They really were incredible men in an incredible age - to think a lad in his early 20's would fly to Berlin....Berlin an unarmed Spitfire to take photos. Amazing, and humbling.

Mount Farm is around 20 miles from where I live, so a really nice local link as well.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

This was very real to me, because my father took hundreds of photos from 1942 through 1945, of his time as a pilot in the CBI theater, and one of my four uncles who were stationed in England during 1943 and 1944 was a reconnaissance officer and flew with this group of Americans flying Spitfires. He later became commander of an RAF base.

Right now, I am trying to get my hands on the hundreds of photos my oldest uncle took as an infantry officer in France, 1917-1918, at Meuse Argonne, Chateau Thierry, Belleau Wood, and other major battles. His fellow officer, a friend from his home town who had enlisted with him, took a hand crank movie camera and filmed life in the trenches and the actual battles.

So this documentary excites me. It is very well done, and very personal, to all involved.