Rings and red dot, what to buy please???

Everycal

Hi all.
Buying a tikka t3 and got a new scope to go on it so need some rings. Are optilocks worth the money or what else can people recommend?

Secondly am going to be keeping my current .270 and fixing a red dot sight/scope on it for driven shooting. Don't do loads so don't really want to spend a fortune. What do people recommend?

thanks.

Luke

Hi luke

Optis are great bud not to much money and plent around, they also protect the tube of the scope with the poly incerts,

Red dot scope i have no idea the last time I used one was on a ar15 in Florida back in 2011 great fun and had a ball but best of all was the 50 cal and a cannon from the civil war,

Bob,

DNZ game reaper mount is excellent - just got new one off ebay for £55. I've got some second hand Warne QD high mounts here if you're interested.

Hi

Burris Signature Zee rings are an alternative to the Optilocs as they also have the polycarbon inserts.
However, arrangments for the associated bases will need to be thought through.

Having said that as Bobjs indicated pre-owned Optilocs will not be difficult to pick up at a fair price, without the bases issue with Burris Signature.

L

I have a UTG 4.0 red/green dot sight I am looking to sell, also a 3x magnifier to go with it.

Flipable magnifiers certainly make them more versatile depending on your situation of course.

Warne makes rings for the T3, too. I just saw some on sale for $29.00 and grabbed them.

If you are not going to use a cross slot rail, but stick with the integral rail, you could use the Warne, Burris, Optilocks, or another set of Tikka rings, with a 1-inch tube red dot, like the Bushnell Trophy, which has a variety of cross hairs and dots in various MOA, in red and green, and about 9 levels of brightness. These come in 30mm, too, and with a screw-on sunshade. They have been used for years on handguns in .44 Magnum, .357, and .45 ACP ( moving on the slide ).

If you are going to mount on a rail, you can do the same, or go to a shorter and larger diameter tube, still for under $150 for a good one. Or you can go to a holographic one, EoTech being high up the food chain. Do a search for this topic and see a long discussion I wrote as an answer about a variety of makes and models.

For red dots I'd recommend Vortex. Not as good as an AimPoint but they are no where near the price of one either.

I have a FastFire II and it's great. I think if I was getting another I'd get the Razor though, simply because it's lighter.

Hi all.
Buying a tikka t3 and got a new scope to go on it so need some rings. Are optilocks worth the money or what else can people recommend?

Secondly am going to be keeping my current .270 and fixing a red dot sight/scope on it for driven shooting. Don't do loads so don't really want to spend a fortune. What do people recommend?

thanks.

Luke

I have a Red Dot sight on a p/a shotgun, the Burris Fastfire 11, it is compact and excellent, and price wise mid-range.
Another Red Dot I use on a .308 short andf light deer rifle is the Aimpoint 'Hunter' S34 which is superior but at around £600 maybe out of your budget range?
Both are holding their Zero well after the initial setting up.

I am always puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm for red dot sights (for deer hunting) in the UK, you will find they are perfectly accurate at the typical UK (Lowland) deer shooting distance which is round 40-60 Yards, and much faster to aim, and safer, due to the much increased field of view (both eyes open). Trade-off is that you may have 10 Min less day-light than those with a top-end scope.

I have no experience with, but read good things about the [FONT=&amp]Sightron S30-5, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]the[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Razor 3MOA, [/FONT]and the [FONT=&amp]MSE-AQC-1 Multi Reticle [/FONT]
The 'benchmark' in Red Dot sights is the [FONT=&amp]EOTech 512[/FONT]

Whatever you buy, I recommend you buy it online from a Eurozone supplier as you will save 20-25% on the best UK retail price you will find.
Or get some quotes from Eurozone shops and take those to your own UK retailer to negotiate the price down.
However, the trade-off against the much better price from Europe is that a warranty claim will then take longer to sort out.

Back